16. Wrestling

I said goodbye to Elena and walked out of the restaurant towards my bike. The avenue was crowded today with everyone shopping and talking. Niall told me to come down to Emilio’s so we could ride home together and, blatantly ignoring Eileen’s threat, I gladly accepted. I wanted to hang out with him today anyway. I’m trying to work on accepting that I like him and ‘take it how it is’.

Now that I think about it, I can’t really follow through with what both of them want from me. Niall wants me to talk to him every day and hang out as much as possible, and Eileen wants me to stay away and never be alone with him. Obviously, I’m going to listen to Niall because like Brice said, I deserve to be happy—to have him as a friend at least.

As I neared the shop, I saw Niall coming out of the store with Eileen close behind. What is this…?

“…home with Hunter and—”

“Hunter? Why are you going with her?”

He frowned at her, “Why not?” I stood awkwardly behind them, waited to be noticed—as usual.

“But, I could go with you—” Niall glanced behind her and his face lit up. I gave him a small smile.

“Hey, you alright?” I nodded and Eileen turned around, giving me a mean glare behind her smile. “Don’t nod…”

“Yeah, I’m alright.” I mumbled.

“Your hair looks different.” He tilted his head to the side and I glanced at Eileen, who was fuming, before looking at my feet.

“Um…yeah I straightened it.” My fingers tapped nervously on the handles of my bike. “Ready?”

“Yeah,” He turned to Eileen. “I’ll talk to you later.”

“Come over?”

“Can’t—I have late practice…I’ll call you.”

She rolled her eyes, “Whatever.” Niall didn’t even seem to notice her bitter tone before unlocking his bike. “Wait,” She grabbed his arm, spinning him around to mash her lips to hers. I turned my bike around and mounted it to keep my heart from aching. “Remember what I said Hunter.” Eileen called and I turned to glare at her.

“I fucking heard what you said, and I’m ignoring it. You remember what I said, Eileen.” Niall looked back and forth between us in confusion. I rode away from them both, knowing Niall would catch up soon enough. Why would Eileen just say that in front of him? Does he know she said that? Does he care? Of course he cares; he said I’m his best friend. He wouldn’t let her say that to me, if he knew, right?

“Hunter, what did she say to you?” Niall questioned sternly, riding along side of me.

I snorted, “She doesn’t want us to be alone together because she doesn’t trust me with you.”

“She said that?”

“Yup.”

“Well….um…” He paused, “You’re not gonna do that are you?”

I rolled my eyes. He’s such an idiot. It was just the two of us riding down the completely empty back street bordered by empty back yards. It’s just us. “Obviously not since we’re alone right now.” I muttered, glancing at him. He wore his usual cocky smirk. He’s so fucking attractive. “Don’t.” I warned.

“I’m not doing anything.”

“I know what you’re thinking though. It’s not going to happen.”

He laughed, “I’m just looking at you. I can’t look?”

“No, you know I don’t like that.”