46. Game

New York City, New York, USA

Over the weekend as well as Monday and Tuesday, Nerry seemed to be healing with no complications. I made daily calls to the vet to let them know about her progress and they were happy to know she was doing well. In those four days, I had to use a sling to help her walk around on our slippery hardwood floors, but today she was walking just fine. I’d woken up early to eat breakfast with her as I texted Niall about problems he was having with getting out of his living situation with his asshole roommate. That was one good thing about living close to school, if I don’t want to deal with people, I can’t just go home.

We talked about his performance the upcoming that weekend and my interview that I still didn’t know what I was doing for. He suggested I interview someone in my class—which as actually a good idea. I just have to pick one of them… We talked about our Halloween plans, which were minimal, though I was thinking about asking Teddy for something to do.

“Good morning,” Mom yawned as she went straight to the coffee maker. “How’s Nerja?” She loved Nerja as much as I did. Since I usually had class before Mom and Dad had to be into work, she was the one to look after her for me. It was a weird obsession really—we would send each other pictures of what Nerja was doing, even if we were both in the apartment together. It was great.

“She’s walking without the sling.”

“Aw, that’s great.”

“I have to go soon,” I said. “My class starts at eight.”

She nodded, taking a seat across the table from me. “Okay, I’ll be home normal time tonight, and we’re ordering pizza.”

“Gourmet.”

“Yes,” she laughed. “Now get to class.” I rolled my eyes and grabbed my jacket off the coat rack. “Day seventy-five! WOO! Do lots of learning!” Mom called.

“No,” I responded before closing the door behind me. I walked down the hall towards the elevator, sticking my headphones in as I boarded. Katy Perry serenaded me as I pushed the ground floor button. By myself, I mouthed along to the lyrics and bobbed my head shamelessly. However, when the elevator doors opened on the thirtieth floor—to let Erza on—I froze. Oh my god. He has a penthouse, what is he doing on this floor?

He gave a nice smile and I nearly came. “Hunter, right?” Stricken, I nodded. “Good morning, Hunter.” He glanced at the buttons as the doors closed. “We’re going to the same place.” I gave him a small smile.

“Off to class?” How did he know…? “Your mother speaks very highly of your scholarly pursuits.” Big words…everywhere…

“Y—yeah, I’m going to class.”

“What’s your major?”

“Journalism and Social and Cultural Analysis— Metropolitan studies; and I’m taking French as an elective.” I recited.

He raised his eyebrows, “Wow, that’s impressive.”

“Thanks.” I blushed. We were silent for the rest of the ride. When the doors opened he walked next to me, but a lot more than an arm’s length away as we went towards the exit. He gave me a wave before crossing the street to the parking garage. I let out a breath before collecting myself to call a taxi.

——

I drummed my fingers on the table as I waited for class to start. As usual, I was towards the top on the far right, tucked away from everyone else who mainly sat in the middle. I wondered what they thought of me—the girl the barely says anything. What was my reputation around the campus? Do I even have a reputation? Do I want one? But…do I care…?