“Emma no! I know it must have seemed that way but –“

“Seemed that way"? I yelled in disbelief. "You screamed it at me through the stupid bond”!

“I didn’t mean it - I didn’t I swear”!

“Don’t lie to me Dorian, you couldn’t have meant anything more. I know that I should’ve just left it alone but there was no need for you to ignore me, even when I told you that I loved you”. I watched his eyes change yet again, a fire this time.

“Why did you say that past tense”?

“Really? That’s all you got from that?!

“When did your love for me become past tense Emma”?

I groaned in frustration, not being able to decide whether he was just trying to evade the issue. “Will please just listen to me Dorian, I need you to hear me”.  “Why didn’t you say that you loved me too? Did you stop feeling that way bec-“

“Of course not! Emma I love you – I will always love you, never dispute that. I know that how I was with you was inexcusable, and I am so sorry sweetheart, for everything. I understand that it took a lot of courage and trust for you to be able to put yourself in that situation with me – but I implore you to understand me when I say that I had no control over myself at that time. I was as lost to myself as I was to you”.

“You weren’t lost the whole time, you were mad at me Dorian and then you told me that I betrayed you, and for hours you paralysed me with your hurt that had a big old Emma stamp on it... I’ve never been so wounded – and to use it as punishment –“ even I knew I sounded disgusted.

“Punishment”?

“It was your pain Dorian, it was your pain which meant that it was mine because I will feel hurt when you’re suffering, always – and then knowing that it was me that caused it, it killed me”.

“It wasn’t because of you Emma – it wasn’t”!

“Why are you lying”?! I screamed again, feeling his pain through the bond.

“I’m not, Emma it’s what happens to me every time I come into contact with Virginia and it was worse this time because I had you, I didn’t want her to know about you or come anywhere near you”.

I shook my head, I couldn't decide whether I could believe him or not, I wanted to I just couldn't. “Why”?

“Because she’s bad news, she taints everything she touches and you are mine and I am to protect you as much as I am to love you. You are my baby, do you know why I call you baby”?

I shook my head. “No, I don’t”.

“Because you’re so new and small and innocent, you’re so loving and happy to give anyone the benefit of the doubt. You are so kind and trusting and open and I don’t trust anybody who isn’t equally so to be around you.

You are a very rare person Emma, and people take advantage of that, they see your goodness and call it weakness, they see your trust and see it for naivety, the only reason I trust myself with you is because I love you so much. Virginia, she wouldn’t understand you, she’d manipulate you and hurt you Emma and anyone who so much as thinks about hurting you will be forced to endure a pain beyond any they have ever experienced before they are eradicated”.

“But you hurt me”. I whispered, looking down from his eyes.

“I know and I am so sorry, I feel like it’s always me failing you Emma. I’ve promised to love you and take care of you, protect you and –“