Suddenly Hunter popped into my head, and I turned around to see she was still standing by the door with her hands in the pocket of her sweatshirt. What are you doing over there? I nodded for her to come towards me, not wanting to disturb the silence. She pushed off the wall, walking slowly before she stood next to me, leaning her head on my arm as she peered at Theo.

Her eyes light up as she mouthed, “Aww.” She got trapped in the baby staring trace too, biting her lip as she smiled. I’d snapped out of it though, and got caught up looking at her instead. The pure happiness on her face was making this all that much better. The best part was none of this had anything to do with her. It was my family and the contentment on her face would make you think this was her baby she was looking at. She was selfless enough to let me have my own moment before coming over to have a look for herself. I think…that’s what I love about her—she could genuinely be happy for someone else with no strings attached.

My heart sped upThat’s what I love about her.

She moved towards Denise, giving her a hug before says, “Hands down the cutest baby I’ve ever seen. Congratulations.” Her voice wobbled and I could tell she was fighting off happy tears. Only she would cry over someone else’s baby. “So cute.”

“You two should head home,” Greg said. “You look exhausted. We’ll still be here tomorrow.” Hunter and I looked at each other before reluctantly agreeing. I gave Theo back to Denise before giving Greg a big congratulatory hug.

“I’m free to babysit on the weekends.” I chuckled.

“Can you even take care of yourself?”

“No,” Hunter mumbled. I rolled my eyes before hugging Mum and Dad goodbye, then grabbing Hunter’s hand as we left the room. We got lost in the hospital for a couple minutes before asking a nurse how to get out, and successfully making it to the car. For a couple minutes we just sat there in the car, looking out the windshield.

Should I tell her that I’m falling in love with her too? Or that I’m already there? Is that lame? Is it true? Yes, I think it is…yes, it’s true. Do I just come out and say it though? She did it after sex, which I guess is a good time; maybe I should wait until then. Or maybe I should make a scene of it? No—she’d be able to tell I’m trying too hard. What if she reacts how I did? There’s a difference between being rejected and just getting nothing—nothing is worse. And I did that to her!

It was stressing me out and making me sick to my stomach. I just didn’t know what to do. I ran a hand through my hair, swallowing the lump in my throat.

“You okay?” I startled a little—completely forgetting she was in the car with me. She was probably watching me have this internal battle. What is she thinking?

“Just tired.” I breathed.

I saw her nod from the corner of my eye, “Me too.”

“Let’s get home and sleep then.”

——

——

“Gather round lads,” Coach called after practice. “This Wednesday is the sports formal, yeah?”—as in the day before Hunter has to go home—“Upperclassmen remember from last year…” He bitterly looked at Adam, who worn a smug grin, and I assumed he must’ve played a prank or something. “I’m warning each of you—I want no mishaps this year. If anything happens, and I find out who did it, yer on playing probation. Yeah?” We all nodded. “Upperclassmen, explain to the freshman what it is—I’m getting out of here.”

Coach walked off and everyone filled the gap as Adam and his henchman Eddie stood in the middle. “Right then—it’s like a big dance with all the sports teams,” Adam said. “You gotta bring a date”—perfect timing—“dress up, then after the coaches say their speeches and shit, the adults leave it to us…”