“Hey.”

There was an awkward silence as he pulled himself out of the pool to come sit next to me. I stuck my thumb in my mouth to nervously chew on my nail—why am I nervous? I glanced at Niall to see him staring at me curiously. I folded my leg under me, fidgeting under his gaze as always. I couldn’t help but remember the other day at dinner when he stood up to Chip for me. He’s the only person outside of my family who’s done that.

That was nice of him, considering we barely know each other.

“You look nice.” He finally said. I frowned down at myself; I’m fresh out the shower with no makeup, wearing a baggy t-shirt and old ripped shorts. How is that nice? “Tanning by the pool’s been doing you well.” He smirked. Is he flirting with me?

“I—um…thanks.”

“You’re wearing that necklace again.” He noted.

My hand fluttered up, fiddling with the gold coin. “I don’t take it off.”

“Why?” I shrugged. “Hmm.” What does that mean? What’s wrong with not taking it off? Lots of girls do that. Don’t judge me, Horan. “So, I went for Eileen.” Okay? “As I suspected, she’s a good hook up.”

“Homerun?”

He frowned, “Third base.”

“Good work Horan.” I smiled at him. “She likes you—you’ll get the homerun eventually.”

“She likes me, huh?” He’s smirking again. He looks so…devilish. Niall, stop doing that. “What are you squinting at?” He chuckled. Damn it, why does my face always have to reflect what I’m thinking?

“Nothing.”

He shook his head, “You’re weird. What’s your last name by the way?” Attention span of a squirrel!

“Gold.”

“Hunter Gold? Why’s your brothers’ last name Tomlinson?” How’d he know I have a different last name?

“Well...our last name is Tomlinson-Gold…C.L. just use Tomlinson and I use Gold. My parents don’t care.”

“C.L.?”

“Chip and Louis.”

He nodded. “Interesting.”

I looked at him quizzically. “Thanks?” He laughed.

What the hell? Where is this going? Why does he want to know that?

“Interested in anyone yet?” I assumed he was referring to our conversation on our walk after dinner the other day. My face heat up. Why does it matter to him?

“No. I am not stuck on anyone.”

“Maybe you’re not looking hard enough.”

What? “Or maybe I don’t want to look.”

He smirked again. “Yeah, there’s that too.” There was a weird silence between us. I’m not too sure if I like Niall, to be honest. From what I hear from Liam, he’s a fun-loving, typical teenage guy that loves his sports and is a charmer with ‘the ladies’. But when he’s with me it’s always awkward and uncomfortable. We engage in weird talk and maybe some awkward flirting (I think?)—like now—and then it dies off—like now. I can’t tell if he’s two-faced or not.

A phone rang, somewhere in the pile of his shirt. He ruffled around in it before finally getting it out. “Ey!” He greeted. “Oh, hey…” His tone deflated the slightest bit, but not enough for me think anything of it. “I’m at Hunter’s house…yeah, sure…Should I ask her if—um…suuuure, I guess…okay…See ya.” He hung up before leaning back on his forearms. Through the corner of my eye, I scanned over his stretched out torso. Wow. “That was Eileen. Wants me to go to Our Place with her later.” Our Place is a restaurant that the group and I frequent. “Said she wanted it to be just us.”Oh god. This is how it starts.