Epilogue

An Independent Journey

Crouching low, Declan ran his hand through the dirt before lifting his gaze towards the horizon. The tracks were old, but it was something.

It had taken him two days to find a way across the Lava Plains. Two days of staggering across burning stones in the blistering heat. He became worried when the darkness fell and he was almost struck by lightning, but he persevered.

When the clouds finally cleared he had found a way to cross the plains. Almost directly across from where they had first reached the mountain, the ground reached out jaggedly across the lava, branching to the other side with a crumbling stone bridge. He knew not why it was there, or who built it, but he didn't question it as he climbed across.

Hunger and thirst drove him on a delirious path for a full day until he stumbled onto a river. He paused on the bank, the sun burning on his back. After watching the water pass over the rocks for a while, he pulled out the stone. It was the same stone that Netta had given them all that time ago to track Demonica. He was surprised that it still worked, but didn't question it.

It was this that he now followed south east, back into the forests that covered most of the kingdom, toward where it grew brightest. Where Demonica was, so would Rosie.

It was time to end this, once and for all.