Chapter 3

Complications

"The past has been there all along, reminding us: This time--maybe, hopefully, against all odds, we will get it right."

Leslie T. Chang

His whole body kept beat with an unheard drum. Every movement dragged a moan from deep within him. His eyelids flickered for a moment until he could open them fully. Searing heat all around him. Declan felt something like liquid heat touch his skin. He wanted to scream but the sound would not come. His throat felt like sandpaper, his mouth as dry as the desert.

"Enough." Demonica strode across the floor to where Declan hung. His arms were strung up, attached to chains that hung from hooks in the cave ceiling. He was swinging nearly a foot off the ground. "Finally awake I see. Are you ready to tell me what you know?"

In response Declan spat in her face. Probably a bad strategic move, he knew, but he didn't have the energy for anything else. Demonica's eyes glowed red for a second. With visible difficulty she calmed down. The glow left her eyes but the vile glint remained. She slowly wiped the spit from her cheek, her gaze never wavering from Declan.

"Bring her forward." Demonica spun around. Her shoes clicked on the ground as she walked away from Declan. She sat in her thrown again. Her lips were pulled tight and her expression blank.

Declan could feel his muscles stretching. The blood in his arms was slowly draining, rushing down into the rest of his body. His arms were slowly becoming numb. He could already feel the tingling sensation in his fingertips. He could hear a shuffling behind him. He tried to swing his body around to see who it was but only succeeded in pulling his sore muscles even farther.

"Declan, meet Rosie." Demonica raised a hand, gesturing to the young girl who just came in. She looked to be about ten years of age. She was wearing a night gown and looking quite terrified. She was gripping a blanket tightly in her grasp, so tightly her knuckles were white.

Declan tried his best to keep his expression blank. He avoided Rosie's gaze as best he could, trying to form another plan in his mind.

"Oh, so you do know her? Tell me, how do you know her?" Demonica leaned forward, her interest peaked.

"D-Declan, what's going on?" Rosie's voice portrayed a barely contained sob.

"Okay, since you still refuse to tell me anything, I guess I will tell you how you know this charming young girl. She is your younger sister, is she not? How long has it been since you have seen her? Five, seven years? You did not recognize her, did you? She recognized you." Demonica sat back, waiting for Declan's response.

"No, that's impossible. Rosie died. I saw her die. I held her body in my arms." Declan refused to look at the young girl.

"But she is standing right here, archer. How is she dead?" Demonica smirked.

Declan's heart was beating at twice its normal speed. The fire, her cold, lifeless body...how could she be alive? His mind raced through the events of that night, the day he lost everything. There was no way Rosie could be alive. It must be an illusion, a ploy to get me to talk. Declan steeled his nerves before he dared to glance at Rosie. She could not be his dead sister, but still...those eyes...so like Rosie's...No. This girl was not Rosie, but still, he couldn't just leave her in the hands of this monster.

"Demonica."

"Hmmm?" She cocked an eyebrow, showing mild interest.

"Let the girl go and I'll talk."

"Oh, how I wish I could believe you but I have long since stopped believing your word. The girl stays. If you tell me what you know then I will let her go. I swear." She barred her teeth and they glinted in the candlelight.

"Fine." Declan spat at the ground. "I learned everything myself." He threw as much venom into that one statement as he could.

"Bastard!" Demonica stood up and was in front of Declan in a blink. "I have had enough of your games! Tell me or I will blow this girl to hell!" She lifted a hand towards Rosie. Her eyes were glowing so brightly Declan thought he could almost see the flames burning within them. She waited a couple seconds. "Too late." Energy filled the room, a steady beat that intensified the moment.

Some energy jumped from Demonica to Declan, infusing his body. He felt refreshed. Feeling returned to his arms and he acted. He swung back. The momentum propelled him forward. He kicked Demonica square in the chest, sending her flying back into her throne. Declan swung backwards again and when he went forward he grabbed the chains above his wrists. He climbed a little higher before pulling himself up so he could have his feet standing on part of the chain that he bent.

"Declan here!" Rosie called. She tossed something up at him.

He almost fell trying to catch it. He was glad to find it was a key, although there was no time to question how it came into her possession. He quickly unlocked his hands. He stayed up in the chains for a couple moments, surveying the scene. Demonica was winded and just getting up. The creatures that were in the room were running around in a frenzy, unsure of what to do.

"Get down here and fight like a man, archer!" Demonica screeched. She raised her arms, pointing them at him. Energy burst from her hands.

It hit the chain a couple of feet above him. It did not break it but heated it to a point where Declan could no longer hold on. He let go and dropped. He hit the ground hard but didn't break anything. He felt something hit his leg and bit back against the pain. Something smelled like it was burning. When he glanced down he saw that a small portion of his pants had ignited in flames.

Declan stole a quick glance at Demonica as he patted out the flames. Her eyes were wild and her smile broad. Energy was sparking from her hand, energy that she threw at Declan.

He rolled away and the attack barely missed his head. He jumped up and ran at the creatures that were holding his things. He grabbed his stuff, knocking the creature down in the process. He slipped it on while he continued to move about the room, never halting. Energy was continuing to be flung at him, getting closer and closer.

Declan was staggering a bit as he ran, his left leg painfully damaged by the blow. He spotted Rosie and ran towards her. He grabbed her and half dragged her away from the centre of the room. He held Rosie in one hand and a dagger in the other. He slashed at any creatures that dared to approach him. A whole grew in the side of the earth as more creatures emerged to aid their mistress. Declan darted towards it, quickly darting past them and into the tunnel.

***

Demonica watched her prisoners go. Her jaw clenched as she tried to calm down. It was too late to go after them now but she could send her creatures.

"Should we go after them, mistress?" one of the creatures asked hesitantly.

"Why do you even need to ask?" She lifted a hand and the creature was flung after the retreating Declan and Rosie. She sat in her thrown and placed her head in her hands, rubbing the temples.

"Mistress, why do you need the archer so badly?"

"Honestly, I just need him gone. I either try to get him now or let my other plan take its course. Either way he will be gone from my life, sooner rather than later."