Chapter 10

A Journey's Beginning

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."

- Lao Tzu

They didn't stop walking until midday, stopping under a large oak tree for lunch. Katherine sat across from Declan as she ate some of the bread and cheese that they had packed. They sat in silence for the most part. Finally Katherine could not take the tense silence any longer.

"Why are you so determined to catch Demonica?"

"Why am I the only one?"

"No fair, I asked you first."

"It is not something I wish to share. It's sort of...personal I guess."

"A personal vendetta?"

"Indeed."

"I can respect that. I have my own reasons for coming too. So...why are you the only one going after her?" Katherine cocked her head curiously. While he looked for an answer she took the chance to stare at him. The light was filtering through the leaves, giving him a warm glow.

"Demonica, as I'm sure you know by now, is a very powerful being. Usually all who go up against her perish. Believe me, many people tried but after so many were massacred they just decided to stop trying."

"But do they not care about their daughters? I mean, those are the ones who are being taken. What kinds of parents are they?" She scrunched her eyebrows together in disbelief.

"That's just it, they're parents and most of the time they have other children they have to look after. Losing their daughters may cause an extreme emotional, and sometimes physical, blow but people have come to understand that it is not worth being killed. They have a duty to their town and families to survive."

"That just doesn't seem right."

"Of course it isn't but that's the best they can do. Besides, if everyone decided they wanted to go after Demonica themselves it would just cause me a lot of grief. All these innocent people would be getting in my way. It's just better this way. Actually," he paused, looked straight her, "if I had my way, you would be back at the cabin, knitting or baking or something."

Katherine stared at him coldly. "Why is it every man on earth believes that women are helpless and just get in the way?"

"Because that's what they tend to do."

"Maybe because we're never given a fair chance," she snapped.

Declan didn't reply. He knew she was right but he was also aware of the fact that she would be a lot safer at the cabin. Time passed slowly and silence weighed down, becoming heavier and heavier. "And it seems that women are the ones who are usually taken," he whispered.

"What was that?" Katherine scooted closer.

"Demonica is only taking girls. That is why they are not allowed a fighting chance. Because if the girls got into the midst of the fight they would either be killed or carted off by Demonica's creatures for who knows what reasons. Men fight when they can but they are always killed. That is why women are never giving a fighting chance." He looked up at her, his eyes steely cold.

"I know but how do you know that that is what will happen since no girl is ever given the chance?"

"Because they are either too frightened by their doomed fate or they're lost in the crossfire. Either way it does not matter." Declan turned his head to look up at the passing sun. "We should be going."

He stood up, brushing the crushed leaves from his pants. He extended a hand to help Katherine up before grabbing his bags. He shouldered the burden and turned back to the path they had been following. He pulled out the stone he had been given and held in out in front of him. A dull grey, it did nothing but sit heavy in his palm.

"Come on." Declan began to walk again, searching the landscape for any familiar shapes or geological distinctions. Before they travelled fifty paces, he stopped to face her. "One last question before we continue? What happened to your parents? Why were you at Netta's?"

She avoided his gaze for as long as she could. "I am...related to my mother and father...but they....well, they are not too fond of me. They already have four other children that are much older than me. I was a mistake. Even though I love them and I know they love me, it's easier if I am not at home."

"So you just left without telling them?"

"No..."

He raised his eyebrows at her.

"Well....maybe." She rushed to add, "They know I'm safe, so they're not worrying, if that's what you're asking."

"So why do you stay with Netta?"

"She knows a lot of stuff and lets me explore by myself most of the time. She is strict, but I have a lot of freedom under her care that I wouldn't have with my parents." She rolled her shoulders, clearly uncomfortable with the questions. "Can we keep moving now?"

"One last thing."

"You said that before."

"Now I'm serious. You must swear to me that you will do as I say when I say it. You will not stray or do anything that I tell you not to. You will listen to any command I give you without question and be ready to flee at a moment's notice. You will stay out of my way when it comes time to confront Demonica. Swear."

Katherine widened her eyes at him. "A little serious, aren't we?"

He grabbed her wrists, holding them securely in his hands. "You must swear to me. I am already risking enough by letting you accompany me, but if you are to continue on this journey then you must do as I say."

Tugging at her hands gently, Katherine met his gaze. She refused to blink as she stared at him. "I swear I will do as you say."

"Good. Now let's get moving." Declan turned and quickly walked down the path, trying to make up for lost time.

***

Katherine stared at the back of Declan's head. As much as she hated to admit it, he was right. Everything he had said rang true in her mind. It was useless for her to be here. The most she was doing was putting herself in harm's way. It was even worse that she had already been caught by the creatures once. They probably knew her scent. She shivered at the thought.

Trying to distract herself, Katherine ran ahead of Declan and jumped on a rock next to the path. She turned towards him and smiled, pretending to curtsy.

"How do you do, fine sir?"

Declan just stared blankly at her.

"What is it? Is something wrong?"

His gaze was stuck on the boulder she was standing on. He quickly pulled the stone out of his pocket and a grin split his face. "We're on the right track. I recognize that boulder from when we escaped. Look!" He held up the rock for her to see. Sure enough it was glowing faintly in the dying daylight.

"What does this mean?"

"It means tomorrow we start bright and early."