Chapter 38

Allies

Katherine was not sure what to expect when the door slid open behind them. She was sitting in the room with Declan and Makom as the rest of the men were out on patrol around Nightridge, ready in case Caedmon and his men brought any evils back with them.

She could feel the tension when they heard the shuffling behind the door behind them. None of the men were meant to be back until nightfall. Makom and Declan stood and went to stand on either side of the door, out of the direct line of attack, and Katherine went to stand beside Declan, her own sword feeling heavy in her palms.

Slowly the crack widened around the edges as the door swung open. Nothing stood in the doorway, and the tension only grew as the moments passed.

Hesitantly Makom took a step forward. "Hello? Is anyone there?"

"Oh Makom! You scared me you old man!" A man came to stand in the light, clearly outlined against the darkness beyond.

Makom's face broke out in a grin and he sheathed his sword once more. He strode forward quickly and embraced this new person, giving him a hard pat on the back. The pair laughed and pulled apart, turning to face the other two souls behind them.

"Declan, Katherine, I would like you to meet Caedmon, our most esteemed leader."

Oh.

The man looked tired...no...worn out would be the better way to describe it. There was something haunting his eyes but he was able to mask it well. Declan still seemed wary of this newcomer, but he relaxed quicker than he had with Makom.

Caedmon strode forward and pulled Declan's hand into a firm handshake, ensuring that he met his eyes before backing away. "I am afraid I do not know who you are, sir, but I am sure if Makom is here with you both of you are noble souls."

"He's the archer."

Now Caedmon's eyes widened in surprise. "The archer? The man who has been running around this kingdom drying to defeat that witch? I thought that was just a story they told to the children so they would not be scared during the dark hours before dawn."

"As I have said before, I am not a noble person, but I am trying to do my best with what I have."

Nodding, Caedmon's smile grew. "Of course, of course. And are you here to help, then? We will be more than glad to provide to you any support we can muster."

Declan turned slightly to Makom and nodded. "That is along the lines of what we have been discussing for the last few days here."

"Oh? I guess there has been many things I have missed while I have been away. And Makom, when there is time I must have a word with you. It is of the upmost importance." Finally Caedmon turned towards Katherine.

Again he took her hand in his own and shook it, although slightly gentler than it had been with Declan. Still, his face lost none of the fierce respect it had held when he had looked at her male companions.

She smiled at him. There was something warm about his presence, a nobleness of his character that she had never encountered before. He was definitely a man of high stature. "It is a pleasure to meet you, sir."

"No, the pleasure is assuredly all mine. The name is Caedmon, and that is what you may call me. No sirs in my presence please. And your name is?"

Katherine could feel her face flush slightly, and she bit her cheek to calm down. "My name is Katherine."

"What a beautiful name for a beautiful woman."

Quickly Katherine pulled away. She didn't mind the compliments, but she could feel the scrutiny of Declan's gaze and did not want to disappoint him. How was he going to continue to bring her with him if he only saw her as a blushing little girl? She pulled her shoulders back and tried to stand straighter.

"Yes, now that we have all been introduced," she began, "why don't we continue the discussions we were having before?" She gestured back to the table strewn with papers. "I believe Caedmon must be anxious to hear what he have discovered in his absence."

Caedmon nodded. "Yes, thank you Katherine. I believe I may have some information for you as well." He went and sat down on one of the chairs, and waited until the others were seated around him before he spoke again. "The pattern has changed."

Makom nodded. "We know."

"Did you also know that when we were on our travels, just past the Emerald Cliffs, we came across a village that was under attack by her?"

"Did you see her for yourself? Are you sure that was her?" Declan leaned forward, his eyes bright.

"Yes, it was most definitely her, but she left before we had a chance to attack."

Declan shook his head. "She won't make the same mistake again. I may not have even grazed her, but I came closer than anyone has even come before."

Katherine nodded. "You rattled her."

Sitting back in his chair, Caedmon crossed his arms. "So how do you suppose we take her down? Her pattern has been eliminated, so we don't know where she will be. And as you have described, your arrows were not even close to injuring her."

"That's what we were hoping you would know." Katherine pointed to an area on the map. "We know there is no reason for her to return to where she has already been, so those areas can be eliminated."

"What about the Oracle? She may have some of the answers we seek." Caedmon pointed to an area on the map that was surrounded in darkness.

"Can we trust her?"

Caedmon shrugged. "Probably as much as I trust you so far, so it is worth a try."

Together Katherine and Declan nodded, accepting the idea quickly but Makom bristled. "But you just came back. What if Nightridge is attacked?"

Placing his hand on his friend's arm, Caedmon smiled. "I am sure, friend, that you are perfectly capable of protecting these homes in my absence. And we know this place will not be attacked. No, she is far from here."

Makom searched Caedmon's expression, trying to see if there was any chance of deviation from the idea, but when he saw none he sat back. "How long of a trip will this be?"

"Two days at the most, hopefully. We shall leave at dawn and be back before you have even a chance to miss me."

The chair was pushed back roughly when Declan stood. "Excellent. So, if you will not be requiring our presence any longer Katherine and I should head up to our room and get some rest." He turned and his eyes burned into Katherine, making her shift uncomfortably in her seat.

Smiling now, Caedmon gestured to the door. "Of course. I will arrange for someone to wake you when we are readying to leave." With that said they dispersed.

='margin-bo.@