Chapter 29

The Shadow

Katherine was digging through their bags, searching for a rope or something that would help. She had even sent Rosie off to look for help. She had almost given up hope when she turned back to Declan's bags to look one last time. She began digging until she felt something she hadn't noticed before.

Along the top of the bag the seam was uneven and ragged, like it had been recently resewn in a hurry. She pulled at the string and it began to unravel with little resistance.

She blinked a couple times, trying to see if her eyes were tricking her. In the side of Declan's bag that he had had before she had met him in that cave so long ago, there was a secret compartment. She reached inside and pulled out the few contents it contained.

There were two small packets inside. She pulled the one open and dropped it, shivering in disgust. Inside the first of the two there was the decomposing corpse of a small bird. She was reluctant to open the second but she forced herself to.

Inside the second packet was a small, simple necklace, a lock of blonde hair, and various herbs. She had no idea what was going on.

Rustling in the trees alerted her to the approach of Rosie so before she was caught she quickly returned the two pouches and restrung the string to appear undisturbed. Just as she stepped away from the bag Rosie appeared, carrying a rope.

She smiled triumphantly. "I wasn't able to find help, but I didn't find an abandoned hunting hut and look what they left behind!"

Katherine smiled in return. "Wonderful! Come on, let's go save your brother."

They were almost to the edge when they heard a loud screech pierce the air. Rosie cried out and covered her ears with her hands. Katherine stood straighter and tried to identify the direction the sound had come from.

There was another screech and Katherine felt panic well up inside her. It was coming from the valley. She darted forward, temporarily forgetting about Rosie and the rope. A couple seconds later she stood at the edge of the valley, trying to peer into the darkness.

No moonlight reached the clearing but Katherine could feel shadows moving around her...something was moving in the sky. Instinctively she ducked, staying low to the ground. She crept to the edge of the valley and called out for Declan. Her heart started to hammer in her chest when Declan didn't answer.

She went to reach for her rope before she realized she had left it with Rosie. She backed away from the edge and stood. Before she turned she squinted her eyes to peer in the distance. A warm glow was growing from the other side of the valley, emerging from the trees.

The new light slowly grew in magnitude until the entire area was basked in its light. Katherine blinked and held up her hand to block the light.

Miniscule creatures danced through the air, swirling in the air. They drifted through the night until they surrounded where Katherine stood. They didn't shift from their path when the creature descended, and Katherine marvelled at that.

The creature was the size of three Esquians combined. Darker than the night, it seemed to absorb the light around it. Katherine tried to distinguish its features, but found them lost in the swirling darkness.

Her mind flashed back to her childhood, when a creature such as this one had terrorized her village. It was at that moment that she knew they had no chance.

"Katherine? What is that?"

She didn't turn to answer Rosie as she whispered the creature's name. "Raxzanock. The Shadow."

"What is it doing?"

"I don't know." She watched as it circled Death's Valley. It was descending slightly with each swoop, but it did not appear to be panning an attack. It was almost strategic. And shadows were never strategic.

Panic welled up inside her as the Raxzanock fell out of the sky, shooting into the valley. Forgoing her own safety, Katherine darted forward and peered below. She could now see Declan hanging from the side of the cliff. She was surprised at the size of the root he was gripping in his hands.

As she watched Declan started to fall, the root dislodged from the earth. A scream pierced the air and it took Katherine a second to realize that it was her. The Raxzanock swooped closer, aiming for Declan.

ead liZ@