Chapter 21

In the Moonlight

Rubbing her arms, Katherine tried to ward off the cold air that enveloped her. She was lying in a bed of rich silks in one of the smaller caves near Orelius's. Sophie was sleeping soundly against the opposing wall, enveloped in her own silks. Orelius was being generous, treating them all as honoured guests.

The rest of his men were sleeping on thin cots around the flames in the large clearing or in the larger cave further down where they had originally been kept hostage.

Katherine rolled over again. No matter what she did sleep seemed to elude her. Finally she sat up and crawled to the entrance of the cave. Silently she leaned her head out of the door, peering into the darkness beyond.

No guards stood at the entrance, something that surprised her after Orelius's speaches from earlier that evening. No, she told herself, Orelius will not make his lack of trust so obvious. His men will be hidden, but ready to strike.

The air was cool and bit at her skin. She pulled one of the heavier blankets from the bed and wrapped it around her shoulders before stepping out of the cave.

A swift breeze stripped the plants of moisture and froze over the smaller bodies of water. Katherine inhaled deeply, allowing the air to travel through her lungs and fill her entire being. A small smile lifted the corners of her mouth. She felt most at home when in nature. There was something comforting about the raw power of the earth, humbling even.

"Katherine, my dear. What are you doing awake at this hour?"

She stiffened. The voice cut through the serenity like a dagger, cold and sharp. She swivelled around to regard the speaker.

Still dressed in his leathers from earlier, Orelius appeared to have never gone to bed. Funny. He seemed like a man that appreciated his sleep. Katherine gave him a cool look. "I could ask you the same question."

He smiled, displaying his yellowed crooked teeth. "A wise answer. Sleep eludes me, my dear. It has been a while since I have gone on such a grand adventure."

"And do you not count pillaging as an adventure?"

"I am afraid, dear Katherine, this is going to be a trip much different from any I have experienced...and far more rewarding."

Shivers ran down her spine. Involuntarily she stepped backwards. She took a deep breath and hardened her nerves. "Be that as it may, I am afraid this journey will be far more dangerous as well. There is no guarantee you will survive."

"Don't try to intimidate me, girl. I am far more qualified than you to accompany the archer." He glanced up at the night sky. He seemed to wrestle with his thoughts before turning back to her. "I would recommend heading back to sleep. I believe it is planned to leave early on the morrow."

Swiftly he backed away from the direction he hadappeared from, and Katherine relaxed. She stared at the stars for a few moreminutes before returning to the cave. As much as she hated to admit it, Oreliuswas right. There was a long day ahead of them.