Chapter 39

New Plans

Makom sat back and scratched his jaw, rubbing the stubble until it irritated his skin. The silence stretched out in the room, only disturbed by the rustling of the papers as Caedmon planned and strategized for the trip.

"So..." he began. "You are just going to take those two on a trip? How many men are you bringing with you?"

Caedmon shrugged. "I think only I will be necessary for this trip as it is short. Besides, all the men have just returned and I don't want to take anyone away again so soon." He started arranging the papers spread out on the table, and quickly scribbled a few notes on a page.

"Do you trust them?"

"Of course not, I just met them. But I am more than willing to give them a chance." Caedmon stopped and turned to look at Makom. "But what about you? You have known them longer than I."

"Do you truly want my opinion?"

Sighing, Caedmon pushed away from the table. "Of course I want your opinion, Makom. You have been my most trusted adviser and closest friend since we began this fight all so long ago."

"I don't think you should do this. Or at least don't take the girl. She is a liability."

"And what is wrong with Katherine?"

Makom shook his head. "I don't know...there's just...something...something off about her. She isn't normal. Plus she's a girl. They're weak."

"My friend, what happened to you? I have never seen you so against something as this."

Leaning forward, Makom gestured to the door. "If you are my friend, then, you will listen. I...feel...as though something very wrong is going to happen here. The girl can't go with you tomorrow."

"Enough." Caedmon waved his hand. "There will be no more discussion on this. Katherine seems perfectly as capable to handle things as you or I and I will not withhold her ability to accompany the archer and I." He stood now and looked down at Makom, disappointment clear in his expression. "I thought you were nobler of heart, my friend."

Caedmon left, papers under his arm as he travelled deeper into the tunnels to his private study. Alone now, Makom dragged his hand over his face.

He needed to do something to stop his friend from getting hurt. He just wasn't sure on what to do just yet, though. Groaning slightly, he stood and cupped his hand around the flame of the flickering candle that lit the room.

Blowing gently, he was soon enveloped in darkness.

***

Lips curling into a sneer, Demonica's nails dug into the soft earth beside her. "Too close. Why must they also be too close?"

Pain ripped through her skull, nearly causing her to collapse. "No!" Her screech caused the creatures present to scurry for cover. Heat radiated from her body, searing the ground around her.

She stood placid for a few moments before the pain subsided and she could once again walk normally. She headed over to the pool of water she always kept nearby and brought forth images of the archer and those he had recently encountered.

After watching the archer for a few moments she decided to move on to the others. The girl he was travelling with was also in the room with the archer, and they were heatedly discussing something.

Demonica could feel the energy that surrounded the girl and pressed in closer, trying to identify the source. The girl looked up and stumbled back, her eyes wide as though she was shocked. Demonica withdrew, watching the girl carefully. This girl was important, and yet Demonica knew little about her.

For now, though, she turned to the others, hoping to find someone to use, someone that wouldn't hurt her other plans.

The thief and the little girl had been brought into the city shortly have the archer had been, and they were currently sitting in the common area playing a game of sorts. Demonica spared no time on them.

Moving quickly past them, Demonica lingered slightly longer on the man she had seen in the village the other day. Sending energy out slowly, she attempted to pierce his mind and probe for a weakness.

When the man startled at her touch, Demonica involuntarily took a step back. Mortals were not supposed to feel her presence when she scanned, but it appeared as though this one had, just as the archer's companion had as well. Intrigued, she pushed harder.

He stumbled out of his chair, backing quickly against the wall. She laughed as he took out his sword and held it out against an invisible foe. He whipped his head around blindly, searching for the source of the energy, but within a few moments his gaze looked straight up from the pool, locked onto Demonica's form.

He wasn't supposed to see her.

Retreating quickly, Demonica pulled her energy from the room and moved on to the next person. This man was quieter, and did not react when she reached out to his mind.

This new person was in internal turmoil, and she relished in it. Deeper and deeper she pushed, exploring every crevice that she could reach until she found it. A tool she could use and bend to her will.

"Yes, he will do nicely."

y have someEc@