Chapter 43

Into the Ever

"It is your omen, only you know the meaning. To me, it is but another star in the night."

Gerald R. Stanek, The Eighth House

"How much farther do you think it is?" Katherine swivelled her head to look down another passage before returning to the path but Caedmon was no longer there.

"Caedmon? Where are you?"

Spinning around quickly, she peered in the darkness, and listened for anything above the trickling of the water. Frustrated, she turned and continued down the tunnel.

Of course he would just decide to abandon me in the tunnel. He and Makom must be more alike than I originally thought.

"Katherine."

Blinking, Katherine stopped. She squinted her eyes and shook her head, trying to clear the vision from in front of her. Still, it looked too real to be fake. "Netta?"

"Yes dear. Come, give me a hug." Netta spread her arms wide and reached out for Katherine.

She wanted so badly to run to the woman that had done so much for her over the years, but Katherine held back. She eyed Netta carefully, gazing from the wrinkled skin to the patched clothing, but could find nothing out of the ordinary.

"You will forgive me if I do not accept." She took a small step backwards. "After all, you were the one that taught me about visions."

"But dear, of course it is me. I heard about your troubles and wanted to help you. I needed to check to see if you had used the one pouch yet from your belt." She pointed a weathered hand to the small bags tied to Katherine's waist.

"Just the healing herbs, so far. What are you doing here?"

"Like I said before. To help you."

"You know I am more than capable of handling myself. That is why you sent me on this quest in the first place."

"Of course it is dear." Netta smiled, but it did not reach her eyes. She sighed and grabbed for the end of her hair, twisting is around her finger. "Can't an old woman just miss you?"

"You never missed me before."

"But I nearly raised you. Of course I missed you. I just never showed it before because you never left for such an extended period as this."

Katherine couldn't help the barking laugh that escaped her. She brought her hand up to hide her smile. She had trained for years with Netta, and over six months had been spent on detecting and forming illusions. She allowed magic to once again flow through her veins before sending the energy out in thin tendrils to pierce the scene before her.

Blinking rapidly, Katherine could see where illusion molded with reality, but she couldn't push past it. Whoever this was standing before her was powerful. Dangerous.

So instead of revealing what she knew, she decided to play along. "I'm sorry, Netta. It's just been so long." She strode forward and pulled the woman into a hug, remaining momentarily before pulling away. "How did you find us?"

"You should know I have my ways."

"Of course." Katherine turned and gestured down the tunnel. "Do you know the way out of here? My torch is beginning to grow dim."

"Yes, follow me." Netta turned and began hobbling across the stone. "So, my dear, how are things progressing with that archer boy of yours?"

"Fine, of course. You always know what will work out in the end." Katherine continued to push gently with her energy, searching for a weakness in the illusion.