Chapter 8

Netta

Beautiful singing slowly drifted into the depths of his consciousness. Magnificent images played through his mind until a smiled creased his face. The pain in that had so recently occupied his entire being was now minute compared to the extravagance before him. The voice that had so entranced him stopped, taking the images with it.

"Wake up."

The voice was sharper when it wasn't singing, almost like a knife cutting through his conscience. His sleep was dragged away from him like a blanket, leaving him cold and shivering. The pain that had been minimal only moments before was now like a roaring lion. He wanted to scream but found his throat was too parched to utter a sound.

Slowly Declan began to realize that it was not Katherine who sat by his bed. The woman was much older than Katherine and her demeanor was stricter. She held herself proudly, not even flinching when Declan grasped her wrist. She had been applying some sort of ointment to his wounds. The woman easily pried his hand off her wrist and continued applying the ointment.

"You're awake I see."

Declan cautiously opened his eyes. The only light came from the single window in the room but even this light was a faint glow. He slowly sat up, trying to remain silent. The woman grabbed him gently and forced him to lay back down. "You're not ready to be up yet."

Blinking, Declan took her in. Silver hair was pulled up into a messy bun. A molted green shawl laid on her shoulders, covering a plain tan dress. Wrinkles covered her skin, giving her a wise and gentle look.

"Who are you?" His eyebrows scrunched together as he watched her face.

"Honetta Flowersblurry, dear, but everyone calls me Netta. And you are?" She grabbed some more ointment and continued to apply it to his wounds.

"Declan."
"That's it? Just Declan? No surname?" She cocked an eyebrow. "Well, just Declan, it seems like you have been through quite an ordeal. Whoever stitched you up seems to have done a fine job, but they were not too bright to allow you to leave on your own just yet."

"They didn't."

"What?"

"They didn't let me go. I left on my own. I need to keep moving. I've already been here too long." He slipped out of her reach before she could say anything more.

He quickly got dressed and grabbed his things. His body was screaming in pain but he knew he had no choice. Demonica would have been moving right after the escape and was probably already long gone. All the time he had spent tracking her would have gone to waste.

He slowly made his way towards the door. Just as he reached for the handle a cold hand clamped down on his wrist with an iron-like grip.

"Where are you going?" the woman asked.

"I must leave." Declan hoped she wouldn't make him stay. He really couldn't afford to lose another day.

"Fine, but at least take the girl."

"What?" He wasn't sure if he had heard her right.

"Katherine, she's always talking about these adventures she reads about in books. I can barely get her to sit still to eat a meal. It's like trying to tame a wild unicorn. It can't be done." Her hand remained on his wrist.

"So you just expect me take her? Do you know how much danger you'll be putting her in?"

"Maybe that's exactly what she needs."

"Facing a demon while not trying to get abducted? Do you think that is what she needs? Because that is exactly what she'll get if she comes with me. I really don't think she wants to get involved as she just escaped." Declan shook her hand off. There was no way Katherine was coming with him. She may be beautiful and smart and...no. He couldn't let himself go there. It was bad enough he had to save her once. He didn't want to have to do it again.

"Declan."

At the mention of his name he turned to face the elderly woman. "How do you know my name?"

"I know many things but this is neither the time nor the place to explain it. You should know that if you do not take Katherine with you then she will follow you. Either way she's going with you. It will be much easier to protect her if she's by your side. Besides, I think you'll be happy for the companionship. You've spent so many years alone you've forgotten how to be kind and generous. She will help you with that. It is the only way you will be able to beat Demonica."

"What do you know about Demonica?"

"I know much about her, especially about the relationship between you two."

"Relationship?" Declan cocked an eyebrow.

"The hatred, the sorrow, the fear." The woman smiled but it was one filled with sadness.

"Fear?"

"I cannot say. You will learn all that you need to know all in good time."

"Why do I need to learn if you can just tell me?"

"Because then the information will not be important. It is only valuable if you find it out yourself."

"Please."

"If you want to make good time today I suggest you be off. The sun will break the horizon soon." Before he could say anything more she raised a hand. "I have packed a bag with food and medicines. It is sitting by the door. Katherine is already up and waiting."

"How? Why?"

"I told you, I know many things."

"Thank-you." Declan had a sudden urge to hug the kind woman. Instead he entered the outer room.

Sure enough Katherine was standing there waiting, bag over her shoulder. The medicine woman followed swiftly after Declan. She walked over to stand in front of Katherine. "You cannot wear that." She gently tugged at the sleeve of Katherine's dress.

"Why not?" Katherine's eyebrows scrunched together in confusion.

"This will be a very long trip. You must dress properly." The woman turned to Declan. "You go wait outside, we will only be a few minutes."

Declan nodded his head at the two ladies and made his way outside. He sat on a crate outside the door, leaning back against the cabin. He stared out at the dark woods, listening to the rustling of the leaves and the calls of the animals. He felt a calmness wash over him as he closed his eyes.

soNormal style=>@