Chapter 17

Bound

Light engulfed him and the others as they emerged from the tunnel. He could feel as the ground changed beneath his feet, from the rutted, uneven stone to soft dirt. Tall trees surrounded them and the air was full of the sounds of birds and other nocturnal creatures prowling the night. But still further they went, down a decline and into a large depression in the forest.

Lifted up he was strapped to two trees standing close together, one arm on each. Ropes were tied tightly across his wrists and to the trunk. He could feel his muscles pulling in odd angles away from his body.

Now he was positioned in such a way to look out on the small clearing before him. The men were moving quickly, building a large fire in the middle of the depression. Light flickered on the ancient boughs around them. Declan looked past the bustling group to the other side of the clearing.

He wasn't prepared to mask the surprise the flitted across his face. Katherine and Rosie were tied to their own trees, thick rope bound around their waists. A man stood next to each of them, watching their movements carefully. Katherine glanced up and caught his eye across the clearing. She nodded slightly, acknowledging his presence.

Declan swivelled his head around to look at Orelius. "What exactly is it that you want? Your men attacked me and I was defending myself."

"They attacked you? Why would Bronto command his men to attack you if not provoked?" Orelius stood by the fire, sharpening a small knife.

Bronto must be the previous leader. "I wouldn't know. I didn't have time to ask."

"And yet..." Orelius spun and pointed his knife at Declan. "...you expect me to believe that you were simply defending yourself? How gullible to you think I am?"

"Extremely if you think I attacked them."

"Enough of this!" Orelius shook his head. "I am sick of bantering." He crossed the clearing in a few strides and stood before Declan, close enough that he could feel Orelius's breath on his face.

Orelius brought the knife up and trailed it across Declan's arms. The cut was shallow, but deep enough that blood bubbled to the surface. "To repay the lives you took, you shall each spill blood for blood." He sneered at Declan. "Three lives given for three lives taken." He turned at yelled to the men gathered. "Our brethren shall be avenged!"

***

Closing her eyes, Katherine took a deep breath. They needed to get out and there was no way Declan was going to free himself. She needed to save them this time. She breathed deeply. It was now or never.

Energy coursed through her, feeding into her voice. "Meque his." She spoke quietly, careful not to disturb their captors. She hated herself for it, having to use magic. Unfortunately she had no other choice as all her weapons had been confiscated. The rope around her waist loosened, slowly unwinding until she could move.

At the sound of Katherine's voice, Rosie turned sharply and glared at her. "What are you doing?" she hissed.

Katherine shook her head at the girl, trying to tell her to quiet down. The last thing they need was a reprimanded for talking. When she met Rosie's gaze a chill ran up Katherine's spine. The look she received was cold and hard, something that an adult may use and entirely inappropriate on a child. Did she hear what I said?

Quickly dismissing the idea, Katherine admonished herself. There is absolutely no possibility that Rosie heard me. I was too quiet for anybody to hear. She turned back to the clearing and watched as the leader of the bandits strutted around, talking about some kind of ritual involving lives to be taken and blood. Lots and lots of blood.

If she could get close enough to the leader, maybe she could distract him long enough to surprise him. If Katherine could take the leader down, maybe the others would listen to her. Good luck with that one, she thought. There was no way these other men would ever fall submissive to her.

Once again Katherine scanned the clearing, trying to find something to use to her advantage. I've got it! Lying on ground only thirty feet away were Declan's weapons dumped in a pile. Only one bandit stood guard next to them.

Shifting slowly Katherine began edging her way around the tree, hoping nobody would notice the suddenly loosened ropes around her. Not one word or glance was thrown her way as she made it around the entire tree. Slipping down Katherine discarded the ropes around her.

Keeping her eyes on the men in the clearing, she stepped a few paces back into the dark forest around them. Cautiously she tiptoed across the undergrowth, placing her feet lightly to avoid any sound. Luckily for her the other man were totally entranced by the words being spoken by the leader. He must be very charismatic to command this much attention.

Sliding behind the final tree, she leaned against it and tried to blend in. Even if she got the weapons she had no idea what to do next. The leader was in the middle of the clearing, far from her reach. Maybe if she called his name he would come closer, but she had no clue as to what it was.

There were plenty of unknown factors in play at that moment, and Katherine hated it. For years she had grown accustomed to knowing exactly what was going to happen and when it was to be and now she was far from ready to think on her feet.

"Orelius, I am not a criminal. I'm not the villain. This is personal, the work of Demonica...the witch."

Katherine stopped when Declan's voice rang out across the clearing. The venom in his voice when he spoke of Demonica was clear and wretched and for some reason hurt her deeply. The pain that gripped her gut was powerful, and she had no idea why. Taking a deep breath, she forced herself to calm down and listen to the event before her.

"Are you sure you want to play this game?" Orelius, the leader, now spoke. "Are you sure you want to play it?"

Declan nodded. "Absolutely. Demonica possessed your previous leader, this Bronto fellow, and forced him and his two other companions to attack my group. We are completely innocent in this ploy."

"And why would Demonica want to attack you? What is so special about a young man and wife with their child?"

Katherine covered her mouth so she wouldn't laugh. Orelius thought Declan and her were married! Ha! That shows how much he knows!

Orelius was slowly getting closer to Declan as he spoke. His calm countenance was broken and his face was turning to a bright tomato red the more he spoke. "Wait a minute." He turned to look at the weapons taken from Declan. Katherine managed to duck back behind the tree before she was seen. "A bow and arrow? Two daggers easily concealed in boots..."

Oh no, Katherine thought. This isn't good at all.

"You're the famed archer going after the witch! Ha! We have a famous hero in our midst boys! Not so famous are you now, eh boy?" He flicked his knife at Declan, drawing blood. "Why do you expect me to believe you? Is it because you have some special code of integrity or something? Yeah, those are useless around here."

"Their eyes were black, deeper and darker than the Eternal Night, completely void of soul. No questions were answered to their identities, and they carried themselves like the minions of the witch." Declan spoke loudly and clearly until he held the attention of everyone present.

As Declan spoke Katherine leaned forward around the tree again, and reached out her hand towards Declan's weapons. She tried to grasp them, but they were too far out of her reach. "Veniat ad me." She hoped she was using the right words. Netta had trained her, but only enough to control basic abilities. The hilt of the knife swivelled slightly and inched towards her.

ere the uR@