Chapter 45

Into the Night

"In every battle there comes a time when both sides consider themselves beaten, then he who continues the attack wins."

Ulysses S. Grant

Sliding his knife across the creature's throat, Caedmon quickly backed off and turned to the others above him. "We need to move quickly! Kill any creature in your path and then we will rally my men."

Turning back towards Nightridge, he could feel a pit growing in the bottom of his stomach. This was his home, the place where no evil had dared to touch. Seeing it now, with the pillars of flames swirling into the evening sky and hearing the screams of the dead or dying, the dread crashed over him.

Gripping his sword tightly in his hand, he took a deep breath and closed his eyes, smelling the forest air swirl around him. He took comfort in the nature that surrounded them.

Ready now, he lifted a hand to signal his men before starting down the hillside.

***

"We need to move, Katherine." Declan turned to look at her. She was sitting on her horse, staring at the scene below with a blank face. When she didn't acknowledge him, he tried again. "Are you alright?"

"Hmm?" She blinked and shook her head before turning to him. "What did you say?"

"We need to move. Are you able to fight?"

"Of...of course." She started nodding and gave him a smirk. "Just a little reminiscent of how we met, isn't it?"

Declan frowned. He never considered how this would affect her. He jumped down from his horse and walked towards her, keeping one eye on the scene below. Placing one hand on the horse's neck, he looked up at Katherine.

"I will understand if you don't want to help."

"No, I do." She closed her eyes for a moment before turning back to look at him. "I need to do this."

"You don't need to prove anything. Caedmon believes in you. I believe in you."

Now Katherine smiled, her eyes warming. "I know that, and thank you...but I need to prove to myself that I can do this. It was one thing to go against the bandits, to get this far, but I am here to help you defeat Demonica, and so that is what I will do." Slipping down from the horse, she grabbed her own sword and stepped beside Declan. "Let's do this."

Declan smiled now and nodded. Turning to face the scene below, he grabbed Katherine's hand briefly and squeezed it. "Let's go." Removing his hand quickly, he started down the slope, Katherine at his side.

***

Orelius swung his sword again, slicing off the arm of one of the creatures. It squealed and staggered a few steps before turning and lashing out at him. Sidestepping quickly, Orelius hit it with the handle of his sword and kicked it to the ground.

A quick swing and the creature's head rolled away. Turning his attention to the scene behind him, he jumped at another creature that was attempting to drag a young girl to the side. When he got closer her realized the creature was dragging Rosie behind it.

"HELP!" she screeched. She tried to swing at the creature, but her arms were pulled right to her sides under her cloak.

Within a couple minutes the creature was lying motionless on the road and Rosie was getting helped shakily to her feet by Orelius.

"Run and hide, child," he hissed, pushing her towards a building. "I'll be right behind you." He turned and swung at another creature that latched itself onto his leg, trying to pull him to the ground.