Chapter 34

The Underground

"Thinkers prepare the revolution and bandits carry it out."

- Mariano Azeula

When his eyes adjusted Declan could make out the details of the room in front of him. A large circular room was cut haphazardly into the earth. Torches were mounted on the smooth walls, casting dark shadows on the walls.

There were three other men standing in the room besides Declan and the young boy. Their clothes were torn and caked with dirt. They looked like they had not seen the sun in weeks, perhaps even months and their eyes were narrowed at Declan in suspicion.

One of the men strode forward and although he never took his eyes off of Declan, his questions were directed towards the boy. "Why did you bring someone here? You know perfectly well that we cannot reveal ourselves to the outside world." His voice was barely a hiss but it echoed around the room.

The boy glanced between Declan and the man standing before him. "He's the archer." The boy shrugged nonchalantly, unconcerned with the rage emanating from the man before him.

"Don't you lie to your father, child," one of the other men growled.

The boy turned to Declan. "Show them."

"I don't believe that to be a wise decision," Declan answered.

"At least someone has a brain here." The boy's father's eyes were still narrowed. "Now," he stepped closer to Declan, "maybe you can explain what is going on, since my son insists in believing in fables."

"This child does not lie. I am an archer. But as to being the archer, I'm afraid he is sadly mistaken. There are many archers in these lands. I do not know how I can be so special."

"Liar! Father, he is the archer. I know it! He is the one that is chasing the demon! And they're not fables! It is completely true. Why else would we be here, in a secret underground room?" The boy crossed his arms and tilted his head slightly to the side, challenging the adults to disagree.

"Hush child! Go along a play, this is a matter for the discussion between adults."

"I am old enough to hear whatever you will talk about." The boy refused to budge.

"Saracle, could you take my son to his room? We really do have important matters that must be discussed." He made a gesture with one of his hands and one of the men stepped forward, grabbing the boy and pulling back the way Declan and he had originally come from.

With the boy gone, his father still looked as tense as ever. He ran a hand over his face and turned to Declan. "The truth now. I did not want to talk in front of the child. It is dangerous information for him to know. So tell me, are you the archer of legend? The one that is chasing the demon that steals our daughters?"

Declan stared into the eyes of the man before. He no longer saw a cold, hard man, but rather one that was searching for answers, who had lost a great deal in his lifetime. Declan nodded.

The man's shoulders slumped. "It's true." He laughed quietly. "But you are a fool. I cannot express how relieved I am to hear that there is someone that is fighting back against that witch." His eyes slid up and down, scrutinizing Declan. "Still, you are...less than what I expected. The legend surrounding you it not entirely true, it appears."

"Are they ever?" Declan cocked his eyebrow.

Again the man laughed. "I'm liking you better every minute." He strode forward, placing a hand firmly on Declan's shoulder. "Come, have a drink with my companions and I." He turned to direct Declan's gaze towards the other men that had emerged from the back room.

He gestured to the man on the left. "This is Cedric Nottings, and to his right is Jerimiah Phlate." The man turned back to Declan. "And I forgot to introduce myself. My name is Makom Rhysoning."

Declan nodded. "Are you the leader here?"

Makom shook his head. "No, that would be Caedmon. He is out on an assignment and should be back in a few days. I'm sure he would be eager to meet you."

"Undoubtedly."

"So please, will you join us? We have much to discuss."

Striding forward, Declan shook the man's hand before taking a seat at the table.

"I'm 5@