Chapter 47

Stalagmite

"I never know," Harry called to Hagrid over the noise of the cart, "What's the difference between a stalagmite and a stalactite?"

"Stalagmite's got an 'm' in it," said Hagrid."

J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

She twirled a strand of dark hair around her finger before chewing her lip thoughtfully. Dropping the hair, she twirled her finger through the thick, scarlet liquid.

Taking the darkness swirling within her she pulled it forward, infusing it with the liquid.

"Another day," she whispered, "another step closer."

Whimpers and the sounds of the girls sobbing carried down through the tunnels to her ears. Every pitiful sound spread glee through her entire being.

Yes, this was a good day indeed.

With the hero's sidekick under her influence, it was only a matter of time before the final puzzle pieces fell into place.

"Misssstresss."

She turned and cocked an eyebrow as the creature slunk closer.

"They are rrready."

"Thank you, my precious." She dragged a finger across its face. "I shall be there in a moment." Dismissed, the creature slunk away.

Alone again now, she turned away from the crimson pool and crossed the dim room to another pool, this one crystal clear. She pulled a small vial out and allowed a droplet of blood to spread.

Demonica watched the images before her. The heroes were travelling fast, and with her own little friend accompanying them, she knew exactly what they were planning to do.

Luckily for her, though, they had no idea of what she was about to do. No, she still had surprises in for these heroes on their noble quest.

Still holding the vail in one hand, she held up a small crystal in the other. Leaning forward slightly, she reached out and placed the crystal in the centre of the pool and watched as it slowly sank below the image to the bottom of the basin.

"Let us test how strong you truly are." She lifted a perfectly clean finger to tap the lip of the bowl and the image disappeared in the ripples.

***

"Are you sure you know where you're going hero boy?" Orelius pushed his Esquian until he was alongside Caedmon.

They had been travelling for four days and there was no sign of the Lava Plains. The entire group was beginning to grow unsettled.

"I never said I did."

"So why are we following you?"

"You don't have to."

Orelius smiled when he heard the annoyed tone in Caedmon's voice. Even though it may not be the best emotion to express, he was glad to see something. Everyone was so serious. They needed to lighten up.

Twisting around to gaze as the others as they trailed behind. "Hey! Anyone fancy a swim?" He pointed a hand to the distance, where a clear blue pool lay. He pushed his Esquian, steering away from the group, but stalling enough that they followed him.

"Orelius! Get back here!" Declan called. He urged Midnight until he caught up with the thief. "What are you doing?" he hissed.

"Trying to lighten the mood."