Chapter 31

Thin Ice

"Do I even want to know how you managed to calm a Raxzanock?" Katherine asked incredulously. "I mean seriously, how can you even get close enough to tame one, let alone ride it?"

"Ah, my dear Katherine that is a secret for myself alone. But...if you really want to know, I am sure that can be arranged." Orelius raised his eyebrows and smiled at her.

She shivered. "I think I will pass."

Camp was set up for the night next to Death's Valley. Nobody thought it was wise to move Declan immediately, so they opted to stay there. Rosie was playing with some grass she had weaved into simple dolls, sitting a few feet away from Declan. Katherine and Orelius stood further away trying not to disturb Declan and the Esquians wandered through the trees searching for food and water.

Katherine tried a different approach. "Then why did you suggest we jump over the valley when we could have flown?"

Orelius smiled. "Because you can never know when the Rax will show. It is safer to make other arrangements."

"You do not truly believe we will try to jump the valley tomorrow after what happened tonight?"

He shook his head. "I am not do naïve, my dear. I know that would be foolish to push you to do something you do not wish to."

"Funny how you say that, yet you decided to accompany us anyways."

"Now don't be harsh, Katherine. I cannot always be lenient with your wishes now can I?"

Her eyes narrowed in his direction. She turned on her heel and went back to where Declan lay. She looked at his hands and began to remove his wrappings before attempting to clean the wounds. Their supplies were limited, and she was frustrated.

Just as things were looking up, another obstacle had to be thrown in their way. She just wished that for once things would run smoothly, that they could have a week, or even a day where things did not end with life or death situations.

All she could so was laugh at herself internally. Normal. It was such a strange concept. She had never been normal or like the others girls in the village where she had grown up. No, she had realized at a very young age that normal was far beyond her grasp.

Below her Declan groaned and tried to pull his hand from her. The cuts went deep in his hands and the bindings did not slow the bleeding. Panic began to build in her but she pushed it down. She needed to be strong, even if she had no idea what do to. Her mind drifted back to Netta and she wondered what the wise woman would do.

The belt!

She had nearly forgotten about the gift from Netta. She reached down and began rummaging through the pockets in her belt. She pulled out a few herbs and crumbled them together in her hand. Katherine gripped the herbs tightly and ran over to where their bags were piled.

Rummaging through them, she sighed in relief when she found her mortar and pestle that Netta had given her. She grabbed her water skin and tossed the herbs in with some water. She began mixing them together until she got a thick paste.

Settling down beside Declan again, she began spreading the paste over his hands, slowly massaging it into the gashes. A few whispered words under her breath and the paste began to glow dimly.

Katherine covered the light with her hands. She watched Declan's face carefully, searching for any changes in his breathing. A deep ragged breath caused Katherine to jump back suddenly before his breathing returned to normal.

When she glanced down again the glow was gone and the paste had hardened into a thick crust. Carefully she pulled it off the paste and tossed it aside. Underneath the wounds were an angry, raw red of skin freshly knit together.

She pulled more gauze from her bag and wrapped his hands again. After patting them gently she pulled back and repacked her things.

It hurt seeing him so weak, but she knew she couldn't despair. So instead she left Declan's side to go in search of Orelius. It didn't take long to find him sitting by the edge of the cliff.

"We need to leave at first light," she announced.

"I know."

"And how long do you suppose it would be for us to traverse around Death's Valley?"

"Five days. This fissure is one of the largest in the land. It is as long as the Lava Plains are wide."

"I see." Katherine shifted to gaze out into the darkness. "Thank you for saving Declan's life."

"I need him."
"Right. To protect your investment."

"No." He stood up and brushed off his pants before turning to face her. "You see, Miss Katherine, we are in a war right now. A war against what, you may ask? Evil." He gestured out to the darkness spanning the valley. "That witch is only the first of her kind. If she succeeds in whatever plot she has set out right now then you can be sure more of those wretched creatures will emerge after her lead."

"Why do you call her a witch?"

"What?"

"Why do you call Demonica a witch? I thought she was a demon."

"You really are naïve, are you?" He shook his head. "All the children of the forest learn at a young age not to mess with the arcane." He bent down and grabbed a handful of dirt. "Nature is naturally good and honest. To start manipulating it to create something new goes against everything that is natural. The arcane corrupts.

"That is why when a demon seeks passage into our word, they prefer to possess a witch because she goes against the natural order. It is easier to possess something that is already partially immersed in darkness. If Demonica, or the woman that formally controlled the body that Demonica is inhabiting, was open to possession, then that means she was likely already biased towards the darkness and was therefore a witch. I only name that which I know." He gazed at his hand as the dirt slid through his fingers.

"But not all magic is bad, isn't it?" Katherine watched him carefully as she waited for his answer.

"A witch is a witch and the whole lot could burn at the stake for all I care. We have enough darkness in this world without their lot messing with things."

Katherine crossed her arms. "But what of those that heal? A witch healed Declan."

"And he lived?" Orelius laughed. "That's amazing! I would have been terrified that she was in league with Demonica. Hold on..." He narrowed his eyes. "Why are you asking so many questions about this? And why are you defending them? I would have thought that you of all people would want them dead after you almost died at the witch's hand."

She was startled at the change in direction. "I'm not defending them. I just wanted your view on all areas of witches. I know there are many that identify differently than you describe."

"How would you know about that?"

"Perhaps because I knew a witch...an old childhood friend became Wiccan when she came of age. She tried to convince me to join her but I refused."

"I see. Are you sure you aren't a witch?"

She narrowed her eyes. "Of course not but why would you think I am?"

"I have my reasons."

"Of course," she scoffed.

He clapped his hands together. "Now, I don't know about you, but I believe it is time to rest of the evening, no? We need our energy for the morrow." He smiled and walked past her.

After watching him leave Katherine turned back to the abyss. This is going to be a long trip. She watched the sprites dance in the darkness. I'm need to be more careful if Orelius suspects. This is going to be interesting.

m:.0001pDc@