Chapter 32

Nightridge

"When you pass the inn at the end of the village you leave your favourite whimsy behind you; for you will meet no one who can share it."

- W.B. Yeats, The Celtic Twilight: Faerie and Folklore

The following day they left at daybreak. Declan was still weak so they strapped him to Midnight and flanked him on either side.

Orelius still insisted they let the Rax carry them over, but Katherine stood determined and in the end he conceded to going around the valley.

They ran all through the day and rested at night. And so they entered the same pattern for another four days and three nights until they reached the end of the crevice. The Esquians were exhausted and they believed the area to be safe so there they remained for two nights.

On the third morning again they set out early and traversed the land over the following days until they reached the point across from where they were originally. Here they stopped and regarded the map. Nightridge appeared to be north and slightly west of their position and once decided again they set out.

Over the last few days Declan had grown in strength, if only helped along by Katherine and her herbs. Now he rode confidently beside them, the only change being his wounded pride. Few words passed within the group, except when they debated their path or obstacles that emerged in their way.

The sun was hanging low beyond the trees when they emerged from the forest but the gloom did not reach them. Lights poured through evening, illuminating everything around them. They stopped and surveyed the scene around them.

"Nightridge," Declan whispered.

***

"Why are we on the edge of the Forest? Wouldn't Nightridge have better protection if it was in further from the tree line?" Katherine was crouched on the hill overlooking the town beside Orelius and Declan. Rosie was further into the trees with the Esquians as they rested, safe from any prying eyes that may observe them.

Declan turned towards her, cocking an eyebrow. "They like the forest for the wood but prefer the edge so they have more room to expand and do not have to deal with many of the animals that prowl the heart of the forests." He looked at Orelius. "Residing on the edge of the Forest also means less attacks from bandits." He turned back to the road ahead, and pointed with his hand. "See there? Guards."

Dusk had fallen and they could see the lights from the oil lanterns being put in the windows. Sure enough a light was moving along the outside wall that surrounded the village.

"It looks like she didn't attack this village. I wonder why?" Katherine turned to Declan, the question clear.

He stopped breathing for a moment before exhaling his words. "She's scared."

"What?"

"Demonica. For her to not attack a village, it must mean that she has some ulterior plan that matters more than abducting young girls."

"I don't like the sound of that."

"Neither do I."

Their eyes stayed trained on the village. There was something eerie about the situation. They stood and returned to the Esquians.

"So now what do we do?" Orelius looked at them. "You don't think that we should go in there, do you? You saw those guards. It would be impossible to get through the gate."

Declan shook his head. "Katherine said we needed to go there."

"And so what does the lady suggest we do?"