Chapter 22

Preparations

When Declan awoke the sky was still dark and no light filtered through the trees. He would have slept longer but something told him to get up. He sat up quickly, batting away the silks furs he had slept with. He had to admit, he had not felt that rested in years.

Stretching silently, Declan tried to wake up quickly. When finished he strapped on his sword and slipped his daggers into his boots. He peered through the crack between the drapes and the entrance to the cave. After his eyes adjusted he realized he was probably the last one to wake.

Exiting the cave, Declan emerged into the middle of the busy forest. Men ran back and forth, carrying large bundles and shouting to each other. As Declan travelled through the bustling crowd he finally spotted Katherine.

Hunched over a long table, she was having a heated conversation with Orelius, pointing to something before them. As he got closer he could hear the words clearly as they rang through the air.

"We are not travelling through the bogs!" Katherine shook her hands at Orelius.

"It would decrease our journey by eight days."

"As I told you before, we do not even know where we are going, so attempting to plan this far ahead is futile!"

Orelius stiffened and turned slowly. "Why, look who is finally awake." He smiled coolly. "I am glad you could finally join us."

Declan stayed back slightly, eyeing the pair apprehensively. "I must have been more tired than I thought. I rarely sleep so soundly."

Orelius glanced back to the papers spread behind him and nodded. "Well, be that as it may, it seems that we are now prepared to depart. The horses are saddled and all provisions have been packed."

"What horses?" Declan narrowed his eyes at the bandit.

Shrugging, Orelius laughed slowly. "Do you really think I was going to walk the entire way? That is preposterous, besides the fact that we will not know how far it is that we will have to travel it is extremely unwise to spend so much time traveling by foot when we can increase our distance on these magnificent steeds!" He swung an arm around to gesture to the two horses that were being led into the clearing.

Twenty hands tall, the beasts towered over all the men in the clearing. Orelius approached the tallest one, whose fur was dappled grey and a crimson red saddle upon the back. He stroked the neck slowly and whispered in the ear.

When he turned back towards Declan and Katherine, his smile was genuine. "Ashka here is the best mare in all the lands. She is loyal, protective, and darn fast too." He pointed towards a blood bay stallion on his left. "Katherine, you can ride Cedar, and Declan..." He gestured to his left and grimaced. "Twilight."

From the shadows a mare darted forward, prancing excitedly. She whinnied and went up to Orelius, but he pushed her excited snout away and pointed to Declan. Before he could even think to respond, he was backed against a tree as Twilight smelt the ground excitedly around him.

"It seems she likes you, archer."

Twilight's head rose up sharply and butted into Declan's chest. He tried ducking out of the way but the horse followed his movements. "I am not riding this nuisance! I would rather walk. It has suited me well so far."

Orelius shook his head. "I am afraid that is not acceptable. We must travel together, and we cannot do that if you are on foot."

Rosie appeared by Orelius's side and tugged on his shirtsleeve.

Orelius glanced down at the child and wrinkled his nose. "What is it, child?"

"What do I get to ride? I want a horse too!" She stamped her foot to accent her statement.

"Fine." He sighed and made a gesture to one of the men nearby who quickly disappeared into the darkness beyond. A few moments later he returned, pulling a snow white palomino. "Child, this is Aquaxius, a young stallion that is the perfect size for you. Treat him well."

The young girl's face lit up as she ran up to the horse. The expression changed to one of fear as she approached, though. Aquaxius reared back, trying to get away. He bucked at the men holding his reins and shook his head wildly.

Rosie stumbled backwards. "What's wrong with him? Does he hate me?"

"Interesting." Orelius tilted his head to the side slightly. "I have never seen him act this way before." He walked forward, and tried to pet Aquaxius's mane. Slowly the stallion calmed, although his breathing was still ragged. Orelius turned to Rosie. "Try again child. Slowly."

His hand remained on Aquaxius's main as the girl approached. Aquaxius tossed his head and widened his eyes but he did not move otherwise. Rosie was able to reach him a place a hesitant hand on his nose where Orelius directed her.

"There, see Aquaxius, it isn't so bad. She is just a little girl." The stallion calmed further, allowing Rosie to move her hand across his flank. Orelius pulled away slowly until the two were alone together. He turned back to watch as Declan continued to try and get around Twilight, keeping an eye on the girl and stallion in his peripheral vision.

Declan grimaced. Twilight was still fairly young, although she appeared older than Aquaxius but was far more excited. Declan jumped to the side again. He was trying to get close to Twilight without getting bowled over, but she was making it difficult. Finally he saw an opportunity. Twilight glanced to the side and watched as Aquaxius panicked again.

Orelius dived to calm the stallion and in that moment of distraction Declan lunged.

he clearingQw@