Chapter 51

Ascension

"Oh, these vast, calm, measureless mountain days, days in whose light everything seems equally divine, opening a thousand windows to show us God."

John Muir

They travelled quickly at first, climbing up the gentle slope. By midday they had travelled far, the Lava Plains on a light glowing in the distance. They stopped for a quick break, then resumed their march. When their sunlight disappeared, they set up camp and took turns as lookout while the others rested. They repeated this pattern for another two days.

On the third day the path grew steeper, and Katherine began to stumble more often. She was finding is harder and harder to stay on her feet, and it didn't take long before she had one arm draped over a companion's shoulders as she stumbled along.

By that night, they estimated that they were about one third of the way up the mountain. The further they travelled, however, they could see that their estimation was wrong. They were merely completing the gentle slope, and the longer they were climbing the earth gave way to rock.

Still they struggled on. Winding through the sharp stones that adorned the ground, they ignored any nagging doubts about what they might find at the end of this journey. If they were wrong nobody would be able to stop Demonica.

***

Scrambling up the outcropping, Orelius turned back and reached down to help pull the others up. Once they stood together, they glanced down.

"We've come a long way." Orelius scratched his chin. "How do you suppose we get down?"

Declan brushed some of the dust off his sleeve. "We don't. At least, not yet. We need to get up before we can get down."

Orelius raised his eyebrows. "I am well aware of what we need to do, archer. I am just speculating for our future endeavours."

"So then we will worry about it in the future."

Smiling now, Orelius tilted his head slightly. "You are so very well prepared. No wonder you need our help."

Declan didn't reply. Instead, he turned back towards the path and glanced up. There was no path before them now, only a sheer rock face. "If you love planning so much, how do you suggest we beat this?"

Lilith stepped between them and pointed off to their right. "How about we take the path?"

Swinging around, Orelius watched as Declan strode forward to where a smooth, winding path, curled around the rock face. "That wasn't there before."

Skipping over to the beginning, Lilith laughed. "Do not be silly. Of course it was here before." Her fast lost all humour. "Are you not coming?"

The rest of the party paused and glanced at each other before trudging forward.