Chapter 59

Burning Slumber

It was Saege that pulled Declan back up and away from the edge. Everyone else appeared too stricken to even contemplate it. The demon's words concerned her, so she returned to the edge and peered down the rock face.

The harshness of the light slammed against her eyes. It had been ages since she had walked beneath the sun and she knew with certainty it was going to be difficult to readjust. She forced her eyes open, blinking away the tears that clouded her vision. It hurt to keep them open.

Far below she thought she could see a crumpled mass that might be their companion. When she turned to the others, she kept her expression neutral. He likely did not survive the fall.

"I believe he is down there." Her voice was rough to her ears. "However, I am unsure of how we may recover h-him." She caught herself before she said his body. As likely as it may be, she did not wish to announce when they had only just started their journey together.

Her words seemed to shake the others from their haze. Katherine strode forward to stand beside Saege and peered over the edge herself. She paled.

Saege did not expect the next words that reached her ears.

"I can get us down there."

***

Whatever happened in that cavern when they had been consumed by the fire had rejuvenated her in ways she could barely comprehend. There was an edge in her mind, knowledge now buried deep within her from whatever force had enveloped them. It frightened her, the power she could feel pulsing around her.

Katherine held out a hand to Saege and repeated herself. "I can get us down there." She turned to the others. "Take my hands."

Her mind was dizzy with the energy flowing through her, but she shook her hand. "Caedmon needs us. Let's go."

Wordlessly the two men came forward and latched hands with Saege and Katherine. Nerves rattling, she forced her voice to steady before she spoke. "Whatever happens, do not let go, okay?" After they acknowledged her request with silent nods, a few whispered words and invisible bonds wrapped around their hands, fusing them together.

And together they stepped off the cliff.

***

Everything was passing in a blur. He thought all the feelings were gone, swept away like ash in the wind, but it was back like the roaring cries of the Raxzanok.

It was his fault.

The cascade of thoughts striking his mind vanished when the world disappeared beneath their feet. Air was ripped from his lungs as they fell down, down, down.

Too fast.

The rock fast was now close enough he could see the smaller boulders littered across. Pain laced his hand where Katherine's nails dug into his palms. He turned his head slightly to look at her face. Her gaze was locked on the ground below them, jaw tense. Faster and faster the world blurred around them.

Dust flew into his eyes and tears obstructed his vision when his feet slammed into the ground.

He peeled his eyes open and looked around. Behind them the mountain loomed, and in front, sprawled across the stones lay a crumpled, bloody form. Dust billowed around them in the fading light, cocooning them in its dusty embrace.

Katherine's invisible bonds faded but he didn't move. He watched in silence as the other three darted forward. Throat constricting, Declan struggled for air. Caedmon should have been the one to enter the cave. He should have done more to protect Rosie.