Chapter 23

Beginning Again

He grasped onto Twilight and hauled himself onto her back. He gripped her tightly and leaned forward to whisper in her ear.

Instantly Twilight calmed and slowed to a stop. Declan grinned and slid off. He led Twilight slowly back towards Katherine. "I think we are going to be just fine."

With Aquaxius calmed once again, Orelius turned back. His eyes widened as he observed Declan standing with Twilight. "Well...that is very impressive, archer. I did not know that you have skills with these kinds of beasts."

"Unfortunately, Orelius, I do not. These horses are far grander than I have ever managed. They are in a league all their own."

Orelius sniffed. "Of course you have no experience with the Esquians. They are the rare cousins of the horse. They are very similar, except for their size and speed. The Esquians we have here are the smaller ones, with others ranging anywhere from twenty to thirty hands. There was once a legend of a fifty hand Esquian, but those rumours have long been discounted. Fifty hands? That is ridiculous! Only a giant could ride it!"

"If they are rare, then how did you manage to acquire three of them, as Aquaxius appears to be a regular horse?" Katherine crossed her arms.

Orelius bowed slightly. "By fair trade, of course, my lady. Our bandits are also excellent trackers. Nothing can hide from them."

Declan strode forward. "Shall we leave, then?"

Grabbing a bag from the ground, Katherine nodded. "I am ready."

Orelius nodded. "And so am I."

Together the small party climbed onto their respectful Esquians, throwing their bags onto the backs and strapping them down. The other bandits crowded around, waiting for a final message from their leader.

Straightening in his saddle, Orelius stared at each bandit in turn. "It has been a long few days for us all. We have lost our previous leader, and once again one must leave you. I leave you in the hands of my second in command, Raenen. I am sure he will be an excellent leader in my absence. And if I do not return, I give him leave to avenge me and destroy the witch as I now do for Bronto...may he rest in peace." Ashka shifted under him, eager to move. "Yes, not I shall be off. I will call for you when you are needed. Until then, soar as the wind, trample the earth, and above all else, be a Wilder and keep the peace!" He lifted his hand as the men roared in approval.

The small party turned and left the clearing. Just beyond the trees Declan pulled up beside Orelius. "What peace do you keep, bandit?"

Shaking his head, Orelius sighed. "All of it." He smiled at the expression on Declan and Katherine's faces. "We may be bandits, and yes, we may pillage and plunder, but how else are we to ensure the poor are provided for? We are no heroes, but we do keep different groups at bay that would see the forest under new rules. I dare say that is keeping the peace, even if it is for our own gains."

"And what of the knights that patrol the forest? Surely they do not like this...blatant disrespect for the king." Declan tried a different approach, wondering what Orelius would say.

"Ha! Knights! I haven't seen a knight in these parts since I was a child. No, in the absence of all regal authority we rule these lands. There is no kingdom here. No king commands me."

Declan stayed silent. Once they were free of the crowd, far enough that there was no chance of trampling an innocent, they began to pick up the pace until they were soaring through the night. The strange part, though, was that they did not feel as though they were moving. The wind raced past them yet for the time seemed to stand still. Not a ruffle disturbed their clothes.

On and on they went, weaving through the trees as though they weren't there. Over the crest of the horizon the sun ascended, bathing the forest in its warm glow. Katherine leaned forward on Cedar and yelled at the others. "How is this possible? We travel fast yet—"

"Katherine! My dear!" Orelius called back. "No need to raise your voice. I can hear you just fine. And to answer that question, it is the magic of the Esquians that allows us to travel undisturbed. They bend the air around them to create a protective bubble that keeps us safe and during the cold season, warm. It also makes communication between riders easier as well."

She sat back. "Oh."

Declan had to admit it to himself, although reluctantly, that Orelius had been correct in forcing them to ride the Esquians. They were able to travel at speeds much faster than humanly possible. He estimated that they would be out of the Wilder Forest within three or four days if they continued at this speed and only stopped at night. If they had walked it would take them ten days at least.

"Halt!" Declan's voice raced through the air to the other riders. The group slammed to a stop, nearly throwing them from their steads.

"What is it? Why must we stop?" Orelius cocked his eyebrow at the archer. "Is someone...afraid?"

Declan shook his head. "Of course not. But we need to check our bearings before we go further. We may be going in the wrong direction and we would not know it." He nodded at Katherine. "You still have it, correct?"

***

She nodded and reached into one of the satchels at her belt. The small rock was glowing faintly in the moonlight. Her grip strengthened around it as she felt for the pull of its magic. She turned Cedar slowly in a circle, attempting to gauge the direction. She smiled and pointed the way they originally were headed. "That way."

Orelius rode over and Katherine stiffened. She pulled back gently, trying to avoid his piercing gaze. "What is that?" he demanded. He reached out his hand, indicating that she should give the stone to him. "Come on, if we are to be partners in this journey I must know all the secrets."

Katherine shifted her gaze to Declan. When he nodded she released her hold on the stone and gave it to the bandit. "Be gentle with it. It is our only source of direction."

"What sorcery is this? Are you a witch?" Orelius's cold gaze snapped back to her, causing shivers to run up her back.

r*@