Chapter 24

Hidden Truths

"What are kingdoms without justice? They're just gangs of bandits."

- Augustine Of Hippo

"Of-of course not! But we got it from one."

Declan rode closer, trying to put himself between her and Orelius. "A witch enchanted the stone for us to lead us to the demon so that we may vanquish her. Katherine uses it to sense the direction that we must take."

"Hmm...well...of course. You have more tools at your disposal than I originally knew of, archer." He handed the stone back to Katherine, although he kept his eyes trained on Declan.

"And it is with these tools that we will defeat Demonica. Now, since we are sure of our direction, let us be off." Declan turned and pushed Twilight faster and faster through the trees until the others had no choice but follow.

Katherine sighed. It was going to be a long trip with Orelius at their side. She turned her gaze to the moon, barely visible beyond the snarled branches intertwined above her head. Please don't let Orelius learn the truth or hinder our quest.

Her gaze slipped to the others in the group. Orelius spoke to nobody, keeping his eyes blank and forward on the path before them. Declan also seemed preoccupied, his gaze distant. Rosie, on the other hand, was ready to meet Katherine's gaze when it landed on her. Initially cold, her expression softened until she smiled at Katherine.

Rosie guided her own Esquian over next to Katherine. "Um...Katherine?"

"Yes?"

"I am sorry about yesterday. You know, when I sounded mean when we were tied up? I was just really scared and I had never seen someone use magic before." Her expression was blank, void of all feeling, but her voice shone with deep feelings.

This statement startled Katherine. She was not prepared for an apology from the child and struggled with what to reply with. "That's okay, Rosie. Quite understandable, really. Nobody expects to be tied up like that. But I am sorry also that you must have been under more stress than you thought. I didn't use magic. I was simply able to slip out of the ropes...they were not tied quite as tight as they thought they were."

"But I saw you! You're a witch!"

"Shh!" Katherine shot a sharp look at Rosie, hoping to discourage her from further outbursts. "We do not need talks of magic a witchcraft. It only attracts bad things....Things we do not want around."

Rosie's eyes narrowed again. "I know you're lying. I know what I saw!" She looked like she was trying to stop her foot but quickly realized that was impossible on the large Esquian. "But if you hurt my brother...you will pay."

"Child, I have no intention of harming your brother. He was the one that saved me back in that cave, remember? Why would I hurt someone I call a hero?"

"You never know." Rosie kicked her heels and sped up until she was riding beside Declan.

Unnerved, Katherine sent another silent prayerinto the night. Please let us get out ofthis safely.ouldO@