15. Food Cans And Misunderstandings.

Chapter Fifteen:
Food Cans And Misunderstandings.

"Good afternoon, here is your meal sir. Enjoy, and have a nice day." I said for what seemed like the billionth time already today.

The older man smiled at me and with his shaking hands, he slowly took the trey of food. I kept a smile on my face as I watched him walk away slowly. When he was out of sight, I stopped smiling and let out a deep sigh.

"Nice hairnet." I heard a familiar female voice say.

I looked up and was met with Miss Cabello, playfully smiling at me. I chuckled and rolled my eyes at her comment, before pulling the hairnet off my head. I put it down on the counter and walked around to wipe some tables, Miss Cabello following my every move.

"Oh come on (Y/N), it's the last day of charity weekend. Cheer up!" Miss Cabello said, trying to encourage me.

"I know. I just wish I could've had a day off, tomorrow we go to school again." I said walking back into the kitchen, the teacher hot on my tail.

"You've had your days off, enough I might add." Miss Cabello smirked, referring to me faking my illness so I wouldn't have to face her.

I looked back at her to give her a playfull glare, causing her to let out a laugh. I walked towards a chair at one of the tables and sat down. I groaned loudly and closed my eyes, rubbing my temples. I heard Miss Cabello giggle, so I opened one eye to look at her.

"What?" I asked her, while she stood in front of me with an amused expression on her face.

"You're so overdramatic." She spoke, bringing her hand to her mouth to cover up her laugh. I gasped and my mouth fell open, and I put my hand over my heart.

"Excuse me?" I asked dumbfounded while she just giggled at my expression.

"You heard me. Anyways, you also need to unpack all the boxes in the storage room. They're filled with canned food and you need to place them on the shelves." She spoke, turning serious now. Though I could still see the corners of her mouth twitching.

"Are you just here to make fun of me, insult me and order me around?" I joked, while keeping a straight face.

I stood up, passing Miss Cabello and rolled my eyes at her. I heard the Latina laugh as I made my way back into the kitchen, with her hot on my trail.

I walked into the storage room and looked at the boxes, there had to be at least 30 or so. I sighed as I bend down to unpack some boxes filled with canned food.

A few minutes of silence went by, as I could feel Miss Cabello's eyes on me. I put one of the last can of the first box on a shelf, and quickly turned around to face the teacher. She jumped up as if startled, causing me to raise an eyebrow at her.

"You know, there's no crime in helping me out?" I suggested, crossing my arms over my chest.

She rolled her eyes at me, before walking past me and bumping shoulders. I chuckled and bend down to cut the tape off of two boxes; one for her to unpack and one for me.

A long moment of comfortable silence went by, while the two of us sometimes exchanged glances and smiles. It was until my phone started ringing, that the silence was broken.

"Hello?"

"Hey, babe. What are you up to?" I heard Lauren's voice speak through the phone.

"Hey Laur, just unpacking some boxes with canned food in the storage room. You?" I asked looking at Miss Cabello through the corner of my eye, to see her already looking at me by the mentioning of my friend's name.

"I'm sitting at the booth for tickets to the Fun House for kids. Guess not a lot of kids like the fun house at this carnival cause I'm bored and have no costumers. Plus, the clown keeps walking past me and handing me a shaped balloon. I think he likes me, but his looks creep me out." She complained, letting out a groan afterwards.

"I thought you'd like that since it suits you, especially the outfit." I joked, a smile on my face. I fully looked at Miss Cabello now, to see her quickly looking away.

"Do you need some ass whooping?" Lauren asked me threatening.

"Kinky." I smirked, biting my lip trying not to laugh.

"Shut up. Anyways, please stay on the phone with me or better yet come over to keep me company." Lauren pleaded, I could just see her pouting right now.

"Stop pouting, you know even though I can't see you right now I can't handle it. Also, I can't come over. I have to finish my tasks, unlike you I actually have stuff to do. Sorry, babe." I said, receiving a whine from my friend on the other side of the phone.

"Okay, just call me when you can. Bye (Y/N/N)." Lauren said, sounding sad.

"I will. Bye babe." I said before hanging up.

I turned towards Miss Cabello again, to see her quickly looking away once again. Confused as to why she did, I shrugged and got back to unpacking boxes.

"Sorry about that, Lauren's just bored cause she has nothing to do." I explained to her, stopping what I was doing to look at her.

"That's okay. You two seem really happy together." Miss Cabello said, fake smiling as she stopped unpacking as well to face me. My eyes widened before I pulled a face.

"Wait, you think I'm dating Lauren?" I asked her, she nodded at me with a confused look on her face. I couldn't help but laugh loudly, only causing her confusion to grow.

"Lauren and I, are not dating. As amazing as she is, it would be like dating a sister. Same goes for Normani." I said, fake shivering at the thought of being romantically involved with either of my best friends.

"But I always see how affectioned you guys are. The playful flirting, calling each other babe." She explained, looking even more confused than before.

"That's just how we act around each other, we're really close. Trust me; I'm as single as a Pringle." I said, waving off the idea of being with them.

I turned back to the boxes and continued my task. When after a few seconds Miss Cabello hadn't responded to what I said, I looked back at her over my shoulder. She was bending over one of the boxes, with a small smile on her face.

I don't know why she was smiling but seeing her smile, made me smile. For the remaining of time, we proceeded to finish the task in comfortable silence.