Chapter 136: Somebody in need

Feather's point of view

"Are you sure??" Molly asked, placing the back of her hand against my forehead. I nodded.

"I'll be fine, Molly. There's stuff I need to get done..." I pushed her hand away playfully.

"But you're still a bit feveri--" I gave Molly a pleasing look.

I've already spent two days held up in her room. I need to get productive.

"Fine... Go ahead and go....I won't stop you..." Molly said, throwing her hands up in defeat.

"Just don't work too hard... okay?" She continued, helping me stand.

I nodded and gave her a quick hug. "Thank you, Molly..." I say gratefully. With a light chuckle and a pat on the back, she replied,"It's not a problem, Feather. Now go, before I make you get back into bed!"

Molly gave me a light playful shove and I staggered towards the door. As I set my hand on the door handle, I jerked it back once I felt it turn on it's own.

I stumbled backwards when the door slowly opened.

"Molly? I ne---" Brandon started before his eyes widened. I couldn't help but gape as well.

Lining his eyes were dark circles of exhaustion.

My eyebrows furrowed when I saw how clouded his eyes were, and how pale his skin was. His forehead glistened with light beads of sweat.

From the way he walked into the room, pushing me aside gently, he looked like he was in pain.

"D-do you have any more waterleaf?" He asked Molly softly. With her eyes darting between us, Molly nodded and walked over to a barrel.

Molly gently pressed a bundle of the leaves into his hands.

"T-thanks..." Brandon whispered. Molly crossed her arms and nodded in acknowledgment.

Brandon then slowly limped out the door.

He didn't get very far once I stepped out into the hallway after him. With a few brisk steps, I nudged his shoulder.

"Hey... What's up?" I ask, clearly concerned. All of a sudden, I winced and bit my lip.

Darn it, Brandon... I'm supposed to be mad at you...

Brandon turned to look at me, slightly surprised.

"Hmm? Oh... n-nothing... I'm fine.." Brandon said quickly, moving so to try and hide his discomfort.

"Brandon... tell me..." I tried my best to sound comforting, but I had a commanding bite in my voice.

"It's nothing, Feather!" Brandon snapped, leering at me.

"What is up with you lately?!?" I snarl. Typical Brandon.... Soft and Sweet one moment then all moody the second.

"URGH!" I growl in frustration.

Brandon shuttered in pain as I placed both of my hands on his back and gave him a hard shove into the wall, the impact making him fall onto the floor.

"Hmmph!" I stormed down the hallway, about to jet into my room.

"W-wait....." A soft plead came from behind me.

"F-feather... I'm sorry..." Brandon whispered.

I squeezed my eyes shut and forced myself not to turn around.

"Sorry doesn't cut it this time..."

Brandon's Point of View

"I... I know..." I let out a exasperated sigh.

The pain I felt in my back was almost unbearable... but that didn't stop me from trying to pull myself off the ground.

With shaking arms, What little progress I made is diminished when I collapse back onto the ground.

"... I know you have no reason to forgive me..." My gaze settles on her tensed shoulders.

"You actually shouldn't forgive me..."

This is what got her attention. I watched as she turned her head slightly, as to look at me from the corner of her eyes.

"N-no... I don't deserve forgiveness..."

I submissively turned my head down.

"... I... I k-know there w-was nothing I could do... t-to make you f-forgive me.... S-so... I tried for the next best thing..."

I felt the charred muscles in my back flex as I tried once more to hold myself up.

"... I finished your armor, Feather... I woke up early this morning and finished it..." I continued, gritting my teeth.

Feather slowly turned around, her arms crossed. I allow my eyes to meet hers and hold her questioning stare.

"G-go and see.... I... hope you like it..... I set the armor on your bed..."

Quickly, she opened the door to our room and peered inside. Her facial expressions softened as she closed the door again.

"Why....? W-why did you do that...?" Feather's hand rested on the door handle.

".... I... wanted to help... I..thought that... if I actually contributed to your success... I wouldn't be so w-worthless to you... n-now... you can go fourth.. a-and... be the hero you're supposed to be... I... won't be in your way... I'll finally stop being a burden to you... I... I... I know how much you'd l-like.... l-like--" I couldn't finish the rest of my sentence.

I let out a heart-wrenching sob as I felt all of my pain collapse on me at once.

The pain of my lies....

The pain of my loyalty

The pain of my love...

I thought that my gesture...

It would act as a form of apology towards Feather...

Because of me...

I almost killed her...

Because of me...

I....

Heh..

I deserve this...

Don't I?

For being such a fool?

For thinking I could ever amount to anything?

For thinking I could love?

For thinking I wouldn't ever be a burden to---

"Don't you ever say that again!!!" Feather said as she flung her body onto mine, pulling me into a tight hug.

".... I... forgive you Brandon.... I know I shouldn't... but I do...." Feather whispered.

"I'll always care for you, My Guide..."