Chapter 127: Never in a Million years

Feather's point of view

"Now," Brandon clapped his hands together, "You've been doing well these past few days..."

It's now been a week since Brandon has took it upon himself to train me. Every night, I go to bed with aching muscles, but a smile plastered on my face.

Just the notion of making Brandon proud ever day makes me forget about the soreness in my arms and legs.

Brandon looked at me, Studying my facial expressions.

"... But you're still weak..." His words took me by surprise. My eyes darted up to meet his steady gaze. His dark brown eyes showed no emotion, making his words sting.

Brandon must of sensed my feeling of unrest, because his eyes softened and his lips lifted into a slight frown.

"You're getting stronger.... trust me on that.... but you're never going to get any better with the amount of Life Crystals." He explained.

Quickly, I looked down at my feet, embarrassment burning cheeks.

"So...." I looked up at him again. He seemed unfazed. "I want you to go down into the mines and collect more."

"Y-yes, Brandon..."

"Hey...."

He took a few steps towards me.

"Is something wrong?" I half-expected his tone to be sarcastic.... At least... that's the way it's been this past week.

But he surprised me.

Brandon had a slight frown on his face as he put his hand on my arm.

"N-no..." I whispered, my voice barely audible.

Something was wrong.....

Yet, I didn't have the heart to tell him...

A slight expression of shock crossed across his face briefly, before he turned his back and started walking back towards the house.

"W-well...You know you can always come to me if you need anything.. " Brandon said quickly.

"Like you've been very approachable..." I mutter to myself.

"What was that?" He looked over his shoulder.

Yes, Brandon has been good to me these past few days, and I could feel like I could fly whenever I make him proud....

But he just leaves it at that....

Yes.... he's just as helpful as ever....

But that's all he does....

I'm..... starting to feel like he's starting to only be here for me physically... more so than mentally...

After being met with no reply, Brandon stared at me for a long while before once more turning back and walking in towards the house.

Shaking my head, I quickly follow him inside.

In the house, I pass by Ki, who was taking to Terra and briskly walk down the hall and into me and Brandon's room.

Brandon was waiting by the door, my bag dangling in his hands

"Here...I already had it ready.." The way Brandon said those words implied a deeper meaning, almost sorrowful.

I wanted to delve deeper...

But I simply nodded.

As I took the bag from his hands, I spun around on my heel, not offering him any sort of farewell.

All of a sudden, I felt a hand on my shoulder.

Brandon spun me around to face him and instantly threw his arms around me, pulling me into a tight hug.

"Be safe.... my hero..." He whispered into my ear.

A shiver went down my spine.

His words made my heart pound against my chest so hard that I'm surprised he doesn't feel it.

I wish that he felt it.

But he didn't.....

Instead....

We continued standing in the doorway, holding onto each other tightly.

I was just starting to savor the moment by breathing in the smell of his hair, when he pulled away from me, smiling.

"You'd better get going..." He murmured softly, giving me a loving look.

And at once... just like magic... all of the built up tension and anger seemed to disappear at once...

But... oh...

I knew better than that...

I knew it would be back....

Brandon's point of view

"Bye Brandon!" Feather said quickly, bolting out of the house.

I sighed and leaned against the doorway.

Oh Feather..... What are we doing??

"Just..... just stop.... before I end you." I hear Terra  threaten from the other room.

Curious, I followed her voice into the main room where she and Ki were talking.

"Awww... come on... One more...." Ki whined. Terra glared at him.

"No!" She partially snapped, but I could see by the gleam in her eyes that she was wanting Ki to say something.

Ki smirked.

"Terra.... oh... Terra Terra Terra........... Wire you doing this to me?" Ki said, winking.

Terra slammed her fists on the table.

"I SWEAR Ki, I will end you!"

Before Ki could do anything to defend himself, Terra knocks him upside the head with her wrench.

Ki then falls out of his seat and drops onto the floor, unconscious.

"Idiot...." Terra mumbled to herself, but I could tell she couldn't resist a smile.

"So.... you've seemed to take a liking to Ki, Hm?" I ask, breaking the silence that started to cloud over the room.

I expected Terra to be startled... or at most acknowledge me eavesdropping, but she didn't respond.

"You two would make a great couple..."

Now this is what brought her back to reality.

I expected some sort of snarl, or backhanded comment.... but she simply looked over at me.

"Never in a million years..." Her voice desperately tried to carry resentment and spite.... but all that as heard was a weak whisper.