Chapter 91

"Mr. Vice President," Jackie said as she took her make-up off that night, "Not quite as seductive," she laughed crawling into bed next to Jack.

"Yeah, but I feel such a relief. It's like being able to breathe after four years of someone waiting for you to do it the wrong way."

       "I think they'll still be waiting, but not as much. Who know! The press is unpredictable. One day they hate me... The next they love... One day I'm the best First Lady... The next I'm the wicked witch that kicked JFK out of his own White House."

      "Very true, Jacqueline." He kissed her cheek, "Now shall we begin the next chapter of our lives?"

      The next morning, Jack was able to enjoy breakfast with his family before they started the day which was something of a miracle. With Harrison, Arabella, and Caroline all in school mornings were hectic enough. "Well," Jack said to the three of them as they got ready to leave with the Secret Service for school, "You each better be ready to tell me one thing you learned when you get home."

They each kissed his cheek and then left replying, "Yes, Daddy."

Jack then returned to the dining room and watched John pretend his pancakes were planes and his mouth was the air craft carrier. Jack then fed Patrick some oatmeal for breakfast before Jackie came downstairs in her robe rubbing her eyeballs.

"Good morning," he said pouring her a cup of coffee.

"It's nice not to have to get dressed for breakfast. I can look like an actual middle aged mom."

"You're not even 36!" Jack laughed.

"It felt like we were in the White House sooo long. What time do you need to leave?"

"Lyndon wants me there at 9."

"Go get dressed. I'll take it from here."

"I have plenty of time. Eat your breakfast and then I'll leave you with these little rascals."

Jackie smiled and quickly fixed herself a bowl of cereal. After she ate, Jack went to get dressed and left her with the children.

    "Well, John-John, we need to get you to preschool."

    "Okay, Mama." Jackie picked up Patrick and carried him upstairs following John.

    "How about this little turtleneck and these corduroy overalls?" Jackie asked knowing John would reply yes no matter what.

    "Yes!" She quickly dressed him and then took him to preschool with Clint Hill. She carried Patrick to the car and helped John in the car.

    "Tell Mr. Hill off to preschool."

    "Off to preschool!" John shouted.

      Just as Jackie settled on the couch after an exhausting morning, the phone rang. "Damn it!" she shouted, "Couldn't I get one hour to read!"

       She picked it up, "Jackie, you got to meet me at the hospital."

       "Why what happened? Are you okay?"

        "It's Lyndon. He's had a heart attack."

       "Clint!" She yelled after hanging up, "We need to go to the hospital right now."

      "Why?" He asked nervously.

      "President Johnson had a heart attack."