Chapter 64

"Jackie, what in the hell is this?" Jack yelled upstairs the next morning.

"What the hell is what?" Jackie asked coming down the steps in her bathrobe.

Jack held up the newspaper. There was a photo of Jackie and Bobby kissing on the front page. His face was bright red and Jackie's face became bright red a second later.

"Jack, just listen to me a minute. I can explain."

"I'm listening."

"I went over to just talk to Bobby and then he kissed me. I don't know what he was thinking. I pushed him away, Jack. I swear to God."

"I'm gonna kill him."

"Stop talking nonsense, Jack. He was being a jackass. I pushed him away because I love you."

"God damn it! The only good thing that has ever happened in my life is something that Bobby keeps trying to take away from me!"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean every time I turn around he's trying to take you off of me."

    "Jack, listen. That's never going to happen. If we made it through one storm, we can brave any storm. I love you, Jack Kennedy. That's something that will never change. Now, here's what we're going to do. We're going to make a story up and give it to one of the papers that that was actually you and I kissing. It'll be believable. You and Bobby look a lot alike. As for Bobby, let's just let the storm settle with him and Ethel. He was all worked up and he wasn't himself."

    Jack nodded as a single tear ran down his cheek. Jackie wiped it away with her thumb and kissed him. She thought the kiss would calm him, but it actually made him begin to cry. Jackie held Jack tightly, "Jackie, I just can't get over how wonderful you are to me and what I did to you."

    "Jack," Jackie whispered in her breathy and soft voice, "Maybe you should see a therapist."

    "A shrink?" Jack shook his head, "Kennedy men don't..."

    "Don't give me that bullshit, Jack," Jackie said sternly, "I don't care what your father, Bobby, or Teddy do. There's no harm in asking for help."

    Jack nodded and Jackie went to get her purse. She set it on the coffee table and dug for a business card, "Here, this is who I saw when we divorced for that little bit of time. He can help you."

    Jack sucked in his breath to compose himself and then went to the phone to call the therapist.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Well?" Jackie asked as she stirred her pot of macaroni and cheese on the stove, "How'd it go?"

    "Daddy!" Harrison called from his seat at the dining room table where he was coloring.

    "Da-Da!" Arabella screeched from her playpen.

    Jack went to Jackie's side and kissed her. "It went great. I'm so glad you talked me into going."

    "I'm glad," Jackie smiled, "Now, go play with the kiddos. They've missed you."

    Jack dashed into the dining room to grab Harrison and then went to get Arabella. Jackie couldn't help but notice how happy Jack looked. Jack couldn't help noticing how happy Jackie seemed.