Chapter 3

"Jackie, I don't know what to say except that I'm sorry."

      "It's not your fault," she sniffed.

      "Take care, okay?" he patted her hand.

       "Yes."

       "Oh, and mom told me to give you these to sneak in with you."

       "M&Ms! Oh, Bobby! This is wonderful! Thank you."

       "Be sneaky about it now. You know your mother would never let you have them."

       "I know. Goodnight."

       "Night. I'll see you soon."

        Jackie went into the house to find her mother had fallen asleep reading. Just as Jackie thought she was safe, Lee came around the corner, "You're home past dark!"

        "Shut your mouth, Lee."

         "I'm telling!"

          "You tell and I'll bloody your nose, rat."

          Lee opened her mouth and with one thump Jackie had knocked her out cold. Her mother woke in the process. "Jacqueline Lee! What have you done?"

         "I don't know," Jackie shrugged meanwhile Lee's nose blood that was everywhere was making her nauseated.

       "Go get help!"

        Jackie ran out of the house and back to the Kennedy compound. "Excuse me!"

       "Jacqueline, what's wrong?" Mr. Kennedy asked looking down his spectacles at her.

        "I seemed to have bloodied my sister's nose," Jackie replied wringing her hands together.

         Mr. Kennedy grabbed Jackie by the hand and together they ran down the street to her house. When they arrived, Lee was awake, "She did it, mother. She's just mean, rotten, and awful."

        "Good for her," Joe whispered in Jackie's ear.

        Jackie cracked a slight smile, "What will I do with you, Jacqueline? Oh, and you can leave now Joseph. We no longer need your assistance."

        Mr. Kennedy glanced at Jackie and mouthed, "Will you be alright?"

       Jackie nodded silently and he slowly left the house.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

         "Jacqueline, you will be leaving for boarding school as soon as school begins."

       "Mother!"

       "No 'ifs', 'ands', or 'buts' about it. I'm tired of your attitude."

       Jacqueline moaned as she went to her room to begin packing. After all, she only had a week before she left.