Chapter 34

The next day was the wedding and the house was bustling. Jackie ran around with Rose getting the church and the reception hall ready. At one point, Jackie ended up alone in the Kennedy compound for a few minutes to grab a piece of the ring sandwich, that Rose had bought for everyone, for lunch. Jackie sat down on the couch and sighed as she sipped at a Coca-Cola and nibbled at her sandwich.

   "Jackie," a voice said softly startling Jackie.

   "Who's there and where are you?" Jackie questioned as she stood up.

   "It's me," Ethel said as she walked into the living room in her wedding gown.

   "Oh, honey!" Jackie exclaimed putting her hand on her cheek, "You look beautiful!"

   Ethel was carrying a black garment bag with her, "Thank you. Jackie, I've been being..."

   "I'm sorry for everything, Ethel. I will never take Bobby away from you."

   "I know you won't and I'm sorry too. That's why I wanted to ask you if you'd be one of my bridesmaids."

   "But I don't have a dress."

   "I got you a dress," Ethel said handing her the bag, "I want you to be in my wedding. I know at first we were a little bit stand offish with each other, but then we became friends and I hate that I've treated you the way I did."

   Jackie began to cry and hugged Ethel tightly, "I love you so much, Ethie. I'm glad we'll be sisters."

   Ethel teared up too as they embraced, "Go get dressed. We have to get to the church."

   Jackie bounded up the stairs and hurriedly dressed in the bridesmaid gown that Ethel had given her. Then she fixed her hair and met Ethel in the living room.

   Ethel had her hand on her stomach, "Jackie, I can't believe I'm getting married and having a baby."

   "I can't believe that I'm getting married either."

   Ethel and Jackie walked out to meet Jack who was waiting for them in a town car. "I guess you're walking me down the aisle, Jack. It's good practice," Jackie commented smiling.

   "I guess so. How are you holding up, Ethel?" Jack asked.

   "I'm well. How's my Bobby?"

   "He's on his way to the church with Teddy, Eunice, and Kick."

   "Where are the rest of your sisters?" Jackie asked.

   "Pat, Jean, Mom, and Dad are at the church putting all of the finishing touches on everything."

   When they arrived at the church, Jack helped Ethel with the train of her dress as she climbed the steps of the church. Jackie held onto Ethel's bouquet and smiled at her as they went inside the church.

   "Here's your bouquet," Jackie said to Ethel as she linked arms with Jack.

   Soon enough, Ethel and Bobby were married and they were headed to the reception hall for a night of fun.

   Jackie and Jack danced together for a little while until Jack had to rest his back. "Jack," Jackie said as they exited the dance floor, "The next time we dance will be at our wedding."

     "Then the next time we dance will be the happiest day of my life," he said grabbing her hand.