Chapter 6

Mrs. Kennedy nearly collapsed into Mr. Kennedy's arms. She cried, "My Jack is lost at sea."

"What did they say exactly, Rose?" Mr. Kennedy asked as he supported her.

"They said that the PT-109 was cut in half by a Japanese destroyer ship."

"Christ," Joe said under his breath as he sighed.

Jackie stood there numbly and remembered the time he had made her cry, but now, as she was standing there, she began to cry. She thought about how she may never see him again. Within a few minutes, all of the Kennedy children plus their parents and Jackie were sitting in the living room together praying.

"Dear Lord, let my boy be alive and alright," Mrs. Kennedy began.

"God, let my brother come home," Bobby said.

"Please get Jack home," Jean cried.

"Bring Jackey home safely," Kathleen whispered.

"Let Jack be okay," Teddy nearly whispered as he tried to cover his soft cries.

"Get my son home," Mr. Kennedy sighed.

"Let Jack be safe right now," Pat whispered.

"Lord, I want to see Jack again. I'd give anything," Eunice proclaimed.

"Jack," Rosemary began and became too overwhelmed to speak.

"Let him come home. Let him be safe and unharmed. Let him live. Amen," Jackie finished.

"Amen," everyone echoed.

Everyone dispersed after praying whether they went back to bed or went to get something to eat. Jackie went back up to Jean's room and couldn't sleep. After tossing and turning for an hour she got up and went into the kitchen to get water. When she entered the kitchen, she saw Bobby trying to get a glass of water. He was so shaky he dropped a glass of water, "Son of a bitch!" he exclaimed.

"Bobby, it's alright," Jackie said coming up behind him.

"Damn it. The freaking..."

"Bobby," Jackie said grabbing him and hugging him.

Bobby then began to cry, "My big brother cannot be dead."

"You don't know that, Bobby. He could be rescued. Don't lose hope. Once you give up hope, you have nothing left."