Chapter 4

"She can't send you to boarding school," Bobby shook his head.

       "Of course she can. She can do anything she wishes with me," Jackie sighed.

        "But what about Teddy? And my mom and dad? We'll all miss you. You've become like a sister to all of us."

        "Well, we'll write letters and that will have to do."

        Bobby shook his head and was silent, "You'll be back for Christmas and Thanksgiving?"

         "Why, I wouldn't miss it for the world."

         Bobby grinned, "I suppose we will all see you then."

Bobby hugged Jackie, "Teddy's going to be heartbroken," Jackie whispered.

"He's going to miss you a lot. So is Mom and Dad."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

        The Sunday before Jackie departed for boarding school, Mrs. Kennedy prepared a dinner to send her off. Jack and Joe had both already left so it was only Bobby, Teddy, all of the girls, Mr. Kennedy, Mrs. Kennedy, and Jackie.

        "Oh, Jacqueline," Mrs. Kennedy sighed as Jackie approached the steps, "We're all going to miss you."

       "I'm going to miss all of you, but I'll write. I promise."

       "That's better than nothing; I suppose. Isn't there some way we could convince your mother to let you stay?"

       "I doubt it. I've fought all week about it."

      "Well, my dear girl," Mrs. Kennedy sighed as she pulled Jackie in for a hug and ran her fingers through Jackie's chestnut locks, "You write to us each week and if anyone bothers you... Mr. Kennedy, himself, will take care of it."

       Jackie smiled and took a deep breath enjoying the smell of Mrs. Kennedy's jasmine perfume and the light scent of whatever she had been cooking inside the house. Jackie then walked inside, "Jacqueline," Mr. Kennedy said patting a seat on the couch next to him.

       "Hello, Mr. Kennedy."

        "Do you really want to leave?"

        "No, but I don't have a choice."

        "I suppose that's so. Here, I got you a little parting gift," he handed her a box wrapped in newspaper.

       "You shouldn't have," Jackie smiled as she tore the paper to find a set of stationary.

       "Now you have to write to all of us here."

      Jackie then leaned over and hugged him, "Oh, thank you!" she said quietly while tears began to fall from her eyes. She hadn't wanted to move to Hyannis Port in the first place, but now she didn't want to leave.