Chapter 29

Jack arrived home from the drug store and joined Jackie and Bobby in the corner that they were standing in. "Seems fun over here," Jack commented.

"We're just staying out of the way," Bobby replied putting his hand on Jack's shoulder, "How's your back?"

"It's been bad lately, but I'm fine. Jackie, do you want to help me into bed?"

"You aren't staying up until midnight?" Bobby asked Jack.

"Nah, I can't."

Jack leaned on Jackie a good bit as she helped him walk to his bedroom. He moaned as she lifted his shirt to take his back brace off, "What can I do for you, Jack? I don't know how to make it better."

"I don't either," Jack replied through gritted teeth.

Jackie reached in the top drawer of his dresser and pulled out a white tee and plaid pajama pants. After helping him change and then lay down on his bed, Jackie returned to the living room. Bobby was sitting alone on the couch so Jackie joined him. "Why are you all alone?"

Bobby lifted his bottle of beer to his lips and replied, "I don't know."

"Something wrong, Bob?"

"Take a walk with me?" Bobby asked offering Jackie his hand to help her up from the couch. Jackie stood and they went for a stroll through the neighborhood.

"What's up with you?" Jackie asked.

"Jackie, I don't know what I'm going to do."

"What do you mean?"

"I can't be a father."

"Bobby, you're going to be a great dad to a bunch of kids. You and Ethel will make great parents."

Tears began to form in Bobby's eyes and then they ran off of his cheeks. Jackie pulled him in for a hug as they stood outside the Kennedy compound.

"Bobby, I want you to know that I will always be here for you. You may be my brother-in-law and I may be your sister-in-law soon, but I'll always be your best friend. That'll never change."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You bitch!" a familiar voice said as Jackie and Bobby entered the house.

Jackie was startled and spun around to see Ethel scowling at her, "What?"

"You're trying to steal Bobby from me just like you stole Jack."

"Ethel, calm down. I'm not stealing anyone," Jackie replied calmly.

When more yelling began, Jack woke up and went to see what was going on and found Jackie and Ethel fighting.

"What the hell is going on?" Jack yelled.

"Your fiancée is fooling around with Bobby."

"Jesus Christ, I gave him a hug!"

"Ethel, you're being ridiculous. Bobby isn't the type of guy to leave someone who's carrying his child. Where's Bobby at? He'll tell you that himself." The whole room fell quiet and Jack yawned as he said, "Why's everyone staring at me?"