Chapter 27

"Bobby," Jackie said calmly, "Please say something."

   "I'm coming to New York."

   "Alright then," Jackie said sort of surprised. She placed the phone back on the receiver and went to sit with Ethel. Ethel was sleeping so Jackie just sat there watching her sleep while the IV worked hard trying to hydrate her. About five hours after she had phoned Bobby, there was a knock at the door. Jackie stood up and and let Bobby and Jack in the room, "Hey, Jack," she smiled tiredly as she kissed him, "Hi, Bob."

   "How is she?"

   "Tired. Go to the gift shop and get her some flowers for when she wakes up, Bobby. She'll like that."

   Bobby nodded anxiously and left Jack and Jackie alone right outside of the room. "How are you holding up?" Jack asked as he leaned on the wall.

   "I'm alright. How's your back after that four hour car ride?"

   Jack shrugged, "It always hurts, but that didn't help anything."

   "I think we will be spending Christmas in New York. She's really sick, Jack."

   "I'm glad I came then," he said quietly as he hugged Jackie.

   Bobby returned with a bouquet of flowers, "Bob, it looks like she just woke up. Do you mind if Jack takes me to get something to eat?"

   "Not at all. You need to eat something because I'm sure you haven't left her since you came in here."

   Jackie nodded knowing what he had said was true. As she and Jack walked down to the cafeteria, he held her hand. It was strange for Jack to do that. He usually never wanted to show much affection in public. "What's with you?" Jackie asked.

   "I love you, Jackie. Tomorrow's never promised and I want you to know how much I love you."

   "I love you too, Jack," Jackie smiled.

   They sat down to dinner in the hospital cafeteria and discussed the current situation. They came to the conclusion that they would stay in New York for Christmas with Bobby and Ethel. They also decided that they would help Bobby and Ethel with whatever they may need. After dining on mediocre food. They returned to Ethel's room.

   On Christmas Eve, Ethel was released from the hospital. They took her to the hotel and put her in a room with Bobby while Jackie and Jack shared a room with two beds which Jackie had insisted upon. Jack laid with Jackie on her bed on Christmas Eve as they whispered quietly. "Jackie, as much as I want to be intimate, I'm glad we're waiting."

   "You are?" Jackie asked surprised.

   "Well, look at the damn mess that Bobby and Ethel got themselves into. My mother's going to blow a god damn gasket when she find out."

   "Your father isn't going to be very happy either," Jackie commented.

   "Hell, you aren't kidding. I can hear him now."

   "I can too."

   "Well, Jackie. Merry Christmas. I'll see you in the morning," he said standing up from her bed.

   "Merry Christmas, Jack."