Chapter Forty-One: Bella's POV

Start from the beginning

-

Alice was on the bottom porch step of the mansion, too hyper to wait for us inside. She looked like she was about to break into a celebration dance, she was so excited about the news she knew I was there to deliver.

"Thank you Bella!" She sang, as we got out of the truck.

"Hold it, Alice," I warned her, lifting a hand up to halt her glee, "I've got a few limitations for you."

"I know, I know, I know. I only have until August thirteenth at the latest, you have veto power on the guest list and if I go overboard on anything, you'll never speak to me again."

"Oh, okay. Well, yeah. You know the rules, then." I say, before frowning slightly. "Where's Hermione?"

"Sleeping." Alice said.

"Past seven?" I asked, actually shocked. Even when we were kids, Hermione always got up at seven- she was more reliable then an alarm clock.

"I know, right? It's almost ten." Alice smiled.

"Jeez," I muttered, shaking my head.

"What can I say," Alice said, flashing me and Edward a somewhat evil grin, "I wore her out last night." I felt the blood rush to my cheeks, and I had to fight hard not to sputter. Alice laughed and laughed at our expressions- I'm guessing Edward looks scandalized.

Once she's finally finished having fun at our expense, she smiled at me. "Do you want to see your dress?" I had to take a few deep breaths. Whatever makes her happy, I said to myself.

"Sure." Alice's smile was smug. "Um Alice," I added, working hard to keep my tone casual and unruffled, "when did you get me a dress?" It probably wasn't much of a show, seeing as Edward squeezed my hand, giving me a sympathetic look.

Alice gave me a look as she led the way inside, heading for the stairs. "These things take time, Bella," she sniffed, her answer purposefully evasive, "I mean, I was sure things were going to turn out this way, but there was a distinct possibility-"

"When?" I interrupted her.

"Perrine Bruyere has a waiting list, you know," she said, her tone defensive now. "Fabric masterpieces don't happen overnight. If I hadn't thought ahead, you'd be wearing something off the rack!" It didn't look like I was going to get a straight answer, so I moved on to my next question.

"Per-who?"

"He's not a major designer, Bella, so there's no need to throw a hissy fit," she said, rolling her eyes, "he's got promise, though, and he specializes in what I needed."

"I'm not throwing a fit." I tell her.

"No... no you're not." She eyed my calm face suspiciously then, as we walked into her room, she turned on Edward. "You- out."

"Why?" I demanded.

"Bella!" she groaned, "you know the rules! He's not supposed to see the dress till the day of!" I took another deep breath.

"It doesn't matter to me. And you know he's already seen it in your head. But if that's how you want it..." she shoved Edward back out the door. He didn't even look at her- his eyes were on me, wary, afraid to leave me alone. I smiled at him, hoping that my expression was tranquil enough to reassure him. Then Alice shut the door in his face.

"All right," she grinned, "C'mon!" She grabbed my wrist and towed me to her closet- which was bigger then my entire bedroom- and then dragged me to the back corner, where a long white garment bag had a rack all to itself.

She unzipped the bag in one sweeping movement, and then slipped it carefully off the hanger. She took a step back, holding her hand out to the dress like she was a game show hostess. "Well?" she asked, breathlessly.