Chapter One: Bella's POV

CHAPTER ONE:

Bella POV:

It was the slight tapping on the window, followed by the low hoot of an owl, two sounds that might be considered unusual by some and disregarded by even more, that had my heart pounding so hard I thought it might break my ribs.

I was alone in my room, Edward not due to arrive for another half hour, having been banished an hour ago as per the rules of my grounding- Charlie not being aware, of course, that he snuck back into my bedroom to spend the nights with me. Usually I couldn't wait for Edward to be back in my presence, but for once I was actually glad he wasn't here. I wasn't sure how I could have explained the way my hands were shaking and sweating.

I pulled open my window, the hinges moving soundlessly, and an impatient looking owl, and yes, owls can look impatient, hopped through, flapping once around my room before landing on my bedpost and holding a leg out imperiously. Being wary of the sharp beak, and even sharper talons, I hesitantly plucked the scroll from his outstretched leg.

I stared at the rolled up, thick-yellowed paper in my hands, not sure whether I wanted to open this or not. Schrodinger's cat. This could hold news that made my entire life, or broke it.

I wanted Edward to hold me, to be with me in this moment, but at the same time I knew he couldn't, like I knew I wouldn't be able to just stare at this forever. So with numb, uncooperative fingers, I unfurled the aged parchment that the Wizarding world was so fond of.

A choked sound of relief escapes my throat, almost a sob, as I recognize the neat script.

Dearest Bella,

It's been a long time since it's been safe to contact you. I have no idea how it's been, how you've felt, never knowing if I'd contact you again. Every day I've wanted to at least send you some sort of message, letting you know I'm still here, that I'm still alive. But I couldn't, and it's not just because I was protecting you, I had to protect myself and my friends as well. If they'd ever got their hands on you, Bella, I don't know what I would have done, what lengths I would have gone to, to get you back safe.

It's been years without seeing you, without reading your chicken-scratch writing, Bella, without hearing your voice, your atrocious accent. But it's finally over. We won, and the monsters are either dead or rotting in prison where they belong. It's finally safe, and I want to see you. And if it's okay, I'd like to move in with you. I need to be away from the Wizarding world, right now, and completing at least a term of high school sounds unbelievably therapeutic.

I love you, so very much, and I dearly hope that you are healthy and well, and that I'll be seeing you again. Please write to me as soon as you can- I miss you.

All my love,

Your sister, Hermione

I'm breathing too fast, way too fast, and my head is starting to spin. The owl is still standing on my bedpost, and I realize with a start that it's waiting for a reply. I can barely get a pen and paper fast enough, and my handwriting is even worse then normal in my rush to get the words on the paper and the pen-nib rips the paper, more then once.

Hermione,

Oh god, thank god, I need to see you, I love you- I am so happy right now! I'm in Forks, with Charlie, I've been living here a while. You can come and stay here, of course you can, for as long as you want.

I pause, taking several deep breaths, to slow my heart-rate down before I continue writing.

Before you do come, though, there are a few things you should probably know...