Chapter Twenty-Two: Bella's POV

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO:

Bella's POV:

I haven't seen Jacob since he professed his love to me a week ago, and I broke my hand punching him in the face. Hermione, thank god, fixed my hand with a handy piece of magic, but I still have to wear the brace Carlisle gave me so the Cullens don't realize it's healed.

Hermione and Alice have officially started dating, and yesterday Alice decided to spring on me the fact that we're apparently going to have a graduation party, after finals, which are in only a few weeks- something Hermione's acutely aware of: in fact, it's turned my sister into a mad woman.

When I turned to Harry out of concern, he just assured me that it was totally normal behavior for her, and that she'd be fine once finals were over. I really didn't understand her fervor- she'd already graduated from the equivalent of high school, and this was merely supposed to be a bit of fun for her, a way to unwind and experience life outside the Wizarding world.

Hermione, as it turns out, doesn't understand my logic, and she nearly bit my head off when I tried speaking to her about it and gave me a colossal lecture about the importance of the high school finals.

Since then, I've officially decided her panic is contagious- because now I was starting to panic too.

It felt like time was rushing by and I had this massive pile of studying to do that I was terrified I wouldn't even get halfway through in the handful of weeks I had left before finals. I found myself seriously cursing the fact that even though it turned her into a mad-woman, Hermione clearly inherited the studying genes and family smarts.

-

When I came down for breakfast on Monday morning, Charlie was already gone and Hermione was sitting at the table, eating a bowl of cereal, with her nose buried in the newspaper. Hearing movement, she jerked her head up, and I was surprised to see her face was tight with stress. "What's the matter?" I asked her, surprised, and she pushed the paper in front of me. I frowned as I caught sight of the thick black headline, of the front-page story.

SEATTLE TERRORIZED BY SLAYINGS! SECOND SERIAL KILLER AT WORK?

With police already hunting for the unknown serial killer dubbed 'The Green River Killer' a beleaguered Seattle must face the possibility that it could be harboring a second and even more horrifying monster at this very moment.

The police have stated that they do not believe the recent rash of homicides and disappearances to be the work of the Green River Killer, though they have yet to confirm or deny that they believe it to be a second serial killer. Sources say that this is because they are reluctant to believe so much carnage could be the work of one individual. This killer- if, in fact, it is one person- would then be responsible for 39 linked homicides and disappearances within the last three months alone! In comparison, the approximate 50 deaths police have linked to the Green River Killer have spanned over the last nearly 20 years.

While the Green River Killer is preying on female prostitutes, the selection for these new murders appears random. The motive seems to be killing for no other reason than to kill.

As I scanned through the horrifying article detailing bodies so badly mutilated that only dental records could be used to identify them, the sick feeling in my stomach grew and grew. It actually took me three attempts to read the last sentence, and I realized the problem was how badly my hands were trembling.

Only one conclusion is indisputable: a new, second monster is stalking Seattle.

Yes, a monster is stalking Seattle. And only Hermione, myself, the Cullens and other vampires know exactly what that monster is.