Chapter Nineteen: Hermione's POV

CHAPTER NINETEEN:

Hermione's POV:

After the La Push incident I wasn't sure if I wanted to comfort my sister or throttle her, so I settled for both. Edward wasn't very happy with me chewing her out, but I ignored his quiet growling and did it gently. Bella was very apologetic, and after I finished lecturing her I let her cry on my shoulder.

That Monday afternoon pretty much set the tone for the rest of the week. I had to ring Leah and post-pone dinner with her family for Saturday night, because I was so swamped with schoolwork.

The Cullens, Bella and Charlie had quickly learned to stay out of my way while I was studying or doing homework. I was starting to panic that I'd been overconfident in my assumption that I'd easily be able to catch up when I found myself slipping several times and writing down information relating to the Wizarding world.

Not to mention, it still felt so bizarre not using a quill, bottle of ink and parchment. Despite what I thought when I first went to Hogwarts and found it archaic, old fashioned, I found myself now missing it.

Harry, who was well used to my panic regarding schoolwork, was wisely giving me my space. While he was still sleeping at Forks every night, he'd started his Healer training at St. Mungos, apparating there in the morning, leaving him busy studying at night.

Alice managed to corner me on Thursday afternoon and told me that under no circumstances was I getting out of our date on Friday, so despite my worrying about a physics paper that was due on Monday, on Friday afternoon I found myself dressed nicely in dark blue jeans, a white blouse and a black cardigan, my outfit paired with black ankle boots with a two inch heel, waiting on Alice's arrival.

I'd used a liberal amount of sleekeazy potion to untangle, straighten and smooth my hair, the whole process vividly reminding me of the Yule Ball, and my subsequent- and now broken- promise never to bother using the stuff again. Once my hair was straight, I had brushed it out so it fanned down over my shoulders, to below the small of my back.

Bella had laughed at me when I tried to apply make-up and ended up stabbing myself with the eyeliner and smearing the mascara on my eyelid. In the end, I ditched the muggle method, and used a few beauty charms I'd picked up from living in the same dorm as Lavender and Parvati for six years.

Alice pulled up outside the house at a quarter past four, perfectly on time. After Bella had left me behind at the reservation with no means of contact, Alice had supposedly 'found' a spare phone in her mammoth house that she'd given to me, with all the Cullen's numbers as well as Bella's programmed in. I was more then just highly suspicious that Alice was lying about it being an old phone, seeing as it was in impeccable shape and a recent model, thinner then the more clunky ones I'd seen previously, with no antenna and slim buttons, but I let it go, knowing that the Cullens were incredibly wealthy and it was nice having a way to contact Bella.

"Ring me if something feels even the slightest bit off, or you need advice, or... well, if you need anything, okay?" I make her promise, several times. She rolls her eyes at me.

"Relax, Edward will be here, and Harry's arriving back in forty-five minutes." She reminds me. Harry's worked out a routine where after his training, he apparates back to Port Olympia and catches a bus back to Forks, as to avoid suspicion. With the time differences between England and America, his body clock's all of rhythm, and he sleeps so much that I don't have a flying partner at night anymore, but he's stubbornly determined to stay in Forks with me, and I don't blame him.

I climb into the passenger seat of Alice's brand new, bright yellow Porsche, and she beams at me. "Hi Hermione." She greets me.

"Hi sweetheart." I return, happily. Alice looks like a supermodel, albeit an incredibly short one, with a short black dress that looks like it's been painted on, knee high boots, and a skintight sweater. Honestly, she looks perfectly edible.