Chapter Eight: Hermione's POV

CHAPTER EIGHT:

Hermione's POV:

One of the many qualities I love about my sister? Her insight- she knows when to stop pushing, when to stand back and give me space.

After my 'big reveal', which consisted mainly of the one name I tried most not to say, or think, she hugged me, holding me tight with fire in her eyes, and eventually we both dozed off.

I woke up at seven, like I always did- at a young age, my body had decided that sleeping past seven was for the weak, and I'd find my eyes opening like clock-work, barring times of absolute exhaustion, in which I either wouldn't sleep at all, or I'd sleep like the dead.

So awake, and fully aware that going back to sleep wasn't going to be an option, I stood in a cold shower for five minutes, letting the icy water wake me up, chasing away the lingering exhaustion brought on by nightmares and interrupted sleep. After drying off, I dressed in long sleeves, jeans and one of my favourite sweaters. Not the height of fashion, but I was going for comfort right now.

Following that was my morning routine of taming my hair to acceptable levels of curliest, choking down some breakfast that really didn't want to fit in my uneasy stomach, still upset by last night's nightmare, and carefully packed everything that I'd need for my first day at muggle high school. This was accomplished in a minimal amount of time, leaving me curled up on the couch with an open book.

Some time near eight, a yawning, sleepy Bella made her way into the kitchen and poured herself a massive cup of instant coffee. Still dressed in her pajamas with her normally straight hair a messy halo around her head, she slumped down on the couch next to me and drained about half the cup in one large gulp.

"So... still not a morning person?" I asked, amused. When she didn't immediately return my teasing with some of her own, worry twisted my already upset stomach. "Bella, what's wrong?" I demanded, closing my book and shifting around so I was facing her- she didn't look up from her hands, curled around her mug. Was she so distressed from last night that she couldn't even look at me? I wondered, feeling a lead-like weight settle in my chest. I hadn't wanted to tell her, hadn't wanted to show her, but she was my sister, my twin, and she deserved more then my lies.

"It's... it's that vampire who's after me. Victoria." Bella speaks up, her voice soft. For a long, selfish moment I'm beyond glad it isn't me that's upset her, but when she continues talking, that relief soon vanishes, and the lead returns. "She's after me. Alice had a vision last night- Hermione, she's back in Forks." I stiffen, even as my mind starts racing thousands of miles an hour.

I've fought in a War, I faced my first life or death situation at age twelve- I was used to this sort of crap. But Bella? When she told me about what had happened to her at that ballet studio, I wanted to take her away, take her somewhere where I could wrap her up in cotton wool and keep her safe.

Bella was sensitive, emotionally, because that's the type of person she was, and she was fragile, physically, because she's a muggle.

There is nothing bad or wrong about being a muggle- I would always believe this. The problem is the fact they had no defenses against vampires. Although it smells appetizing, the blood of a magical is poisonous to the vile beings who feast on humans. One mouthful is enough to paralyse a vampire, and there are more then enough spells and potions available to deal with the venom. A muggle in the hands of a vampire is akin to a worm in the beak of a bird... or perhaps something more poetic then that, but with the same sentiment- defenceless.

"It's okay, Bella, I'll make sure you stay safe." I promise her, my voice actually shaking with fury, and I fully intend on honouring that promise. That vampire was finished; she had signed her own certificate of execution the moment she'd set my sister in her sights- I was not losing anyone else. Ever.