Chapter Thirty-Two: Bella's POV

CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO:

Bella's POV:

It was officially less then an hour before it was time for Edward and I to set the first trail and my nerves were fried. I was panicking, and found myself only slightly calmed by the fact that Edward and I still had the massive house to ourselves so I could try to slow my breathing down- the rest of the Cullens had gone on an overnight hunting trip and still hadn't returned. Hermione was in England, sorting everything out with Fleur.

Having some alone time with Edward in the massive house over night had been a new experience, though frustrating as he had made the boundaries of our intimacy frustratingly clear. Being alone in the house did give me an ample opportunity to bring up the wedding thing again, without any of the others overhearing.

I grimaced slightly, remembering our conversation, from where Edward and I were sitting in the foyer, awaiting the others' return: on one hand, I was still engaged, but on the other, he had conceded to getting married in Vegas.

"Are you alright?" Edward spoke up from beside me, mistaking my grimace for nerves.

"No." I admitted, "but I'm getting there."

"That's good," Edward said, with a crooked smile, "because the others are almost home."

Hermione apparated in front of us, looking grim-faced but determined. I greeted her with a hug, and a few moments later the front door opened and the Cullens streamed in. There was a new businesslike atmosphere about them, and it pulled me back into the enormity of what was coming.

Alice seemed to be in an unusually bad mood, but I chalked it up to her frustration with feeling normal, as her first comment to Edward was a complaint about working with the wolves.

"I think," she made a face as she used the uncertain term, "that you're going to want to pack for cold weather, Edward. I can't see exactly where you're going because you're taking off with that do-" Hermione cleared her throat loudly and Alice sighed, "taking off with Jacob this afternoon, but the storm that's coming seems particularly bad in that general area." Edward nodded. "It's going to snow on the mountains." She warned him.

"Eww, snow." I muttered to myself, making Hermione laugh. But seriously- it was June for crying out loud!

"Wear a jacket." Alice told me. Her voice was unfriendly, and that shocked me. I tried to read her face, but she turned away. I looked at Edward but he was smiling; whatever was bugging Alice seemed to amuse them.

Edward had more then enough camping equipment to choose from, but Hermione insisted that he not bother bringing anything but food. When he asked why she just smiled evasively and answered, "you'll see."

-

Alice wandered into the garage, Hermione by her side, to where Edward was shoving several packets of dehydrated food- grinning when I made a face at them- in a backpack. She sat down on the hood of her car and watched us, silently. Hermione gave an exaggerated sigh as she leaned against the car next to her, causing Edward to snort again.

I was starting to get annoyed at being the only one left out of the loop.

Edward, who had finished packing while I looked at Alice, handed me his phone. "Why don't you call Jacob and tell him we'll be ready for him in an hour or so. He knows where to meet us." He suggested. I nodded, silently, and accepted the phone, quickly dialing the number I knew off by heart

Jacob wasn't home, but Billy promised to call around until he could find an available shifter to pass along the news. "Don't you or Hermione worry about Charlie, Bella," Billy assured me, as our conversation drew to a close, "I've got my part of this under control."