Chapter Thirty-Six: Hermione's POV

CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX:

Hermione's POV:

I was tired and my body felt heavy, so heavy, as I let myself lay limp in Alice's arms as she ran with me, racing against the clock. We appeared in the clearing where the main battle had taken place, and I let out a soft sigh of relief when I saw the Volturi weren't here yet.

The Cullens were all standing in a loose semi-circle around a bonfire, in which I could see no flames, only thick, purple-black smoke, hovering like a disease against the bright green grass.

Upon catching sight of us, Esme blurred and pulled Alice and I into her arms. "I'm so glad you're safe!" she breathed out, her face shining, and my heart swam with emotion. I had to blink back tears, and I blamed my heightened sensitive state on the leftover adrenaline.

"The Volturi will be here in less then two minutes." Edward interrupted our reunion, his face hard. Esme stiffened, and her eyes lost their sparkle.

A strangled groan dragged my attention to a surprising sight- a female newborn crouched on the ground, her fingers scrabbling at the earth as she looked at me with hungry eyes. The girl was curled into a small ball beside the flames, her arms wrapped around her legs. She was very young. Younger than me - she looked maybe fifteen, dark-haired and slight. Her eyes were focused on me, and the irises were a shocking, brilliant red. Much brighter than even the three newborns I'd just faced, almost glowing. They wheeled wildly, out of control. I met the girl's stare for a heartbeat. Chin-length dark hair framed her face, which was alabaster pale. It was hard to tell if her features were beautiful, twisted as they were by rage and thirst. The feral red eyes were dominant - hard to look away from. She glared at me viciously, shuddering and writhing every few seconds.

"Who's that?" I asked, with pity.

"Her name's Bree," Edward told me quietly. "She surrendered. That's one I've never seen before. Only Carlisle would think of offering. Jasper doesn't approve."

The young female suddenly threw her head back like an animal and wailed shrilly.

Jasper growled at her and she cringed back, but her fingers dug into the ground like claws and her head whipped back and forth in anguish. Jasper took a step toward her, slipping deeper into his crouch. Alice moved with overdone casualness, turning our bodies so that she was between the girl and me. I looked over her head to watch the thrashing girl and Jasper.

Carlisle was at Jasper's side in an instant. He put a restraining hand on his most recent son's arm.

"Have you changed your mind, young one?" Carlisle asked, calm as ever. "We don't want to destroy you, but we will if you can't control yourself."

"How can you stand it?" the girl groaned in a high, clear voice. "I want her." Her bright crimson irises focused on Alice, through her, beyond her to me, and her nails ripped through the hard soil again.

"You must stand it," Carlisle told her gravely. "You must exercise control. It is possible, and it is the only thing that will save you now."

The girl clutched her dirt-encrusted hands around her head, yowling quietly.

"It would be kinder to move away from her," I murmured to Alice, tugging on her arm. The girl's lips pulled back over her teeth when she heard my voice, her expression one of torment.

"We have to stay here," Alice replied. "They are coming to the north end of the clearing now." Sighing, I wriggled slightly in Alice's arms, signaling my wish to get free, and Alice instantly let go, and then frowned as I crossed over to Edward. "What are you doing?" she asked, her tone jealous.