Chapter Twenty-Five: Hermione's POV

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE:

Hermione's POV:

The wolves failed to track Riley's scent due to degradation, which didn't surprise me, but it was still disappointing.

I believe Bella found it surreal that the world kept spinning as Monday rolled around and it was finals week. The whole whirlwind of the weekend had disconnected her from the normal world, and Bella was starting to really struggle with how in one part of her life, everyone thought that the hardest thing she was facing were finals, while in the other half, her life was in danger because a crazy vampire wanted her dead.

It certainly made finals more stressful, I'd admit, but I had to say, they were a lot less terrifying then the OWLs. There was no way my scores were going to be near the top. They would be average. I may be intelligent, but there was only so much I could do to catch up with the time I had. This took a lot of pressure off me.

The art practical was the hardest. I did a lot better with memorizing thousands of facts, then necessarily applying them, and in art especially there was less memorizing, more actual skill involved.

My final piece was of Voldemort, standing in the middle of Hogwarts, his terrifying, skull-like face twisted into its mask of hatred and lit up by the green light of the Killing Curse, streaming from his wand. Bodies were heaped up around him, and his crimson eyes gleamed.

It wasn't an A+ picture, probably nearing the C mark. But in a way I felt triumphant, as I applied the last few strokes. Alice's finished portrait was a masterpiece. Her entire family was drawn in, with so much detail that it looked more like a photograph. Carlisle, Esme, Rosalie, Emmett, Jasper, Maggie, Edward, Bella, herself... and me. My arm was wrapped around her waist, and hers around mine. I almost got teary when I saw it.

Bella actually did cry in relief when the finals week was over, and as a celebration, Jacob had invited her to bonfire night at La Push. Leah invited me too, but seeing as Charlie had the night shift at the station and Harry had bought a flat in London closer to St. Mungos and wasn't living with us anymore, I decided that I'd invite Alice over so we could have the house to ourselves. Leah laughed when I told her this and advised me to use protection.

Bella took off on her motorcycle to go meet Jake, and I couldn't resist casting a few protective charms, much to her amusement. "Are you going tell Alice tonight?" she asked, as she revved the motor. I sighed at her persistence.

"None of your business. Go away." I told her. She laughed, and drove off. Alice was coming over at around six, around an hour later, so I busied myself boiling myself up some pasta, packing away all the high school books, exam prep, etc. that was strewn around the house, and showering.

I took care to apply some make-up by hand, dry my hair and dress in a nice skirt and light pink v-neck, trying to look pretty but not like I was trying too hard. When Alice knocked on the door, there were butterflies in my stomach.

Bella had told me how Edward was always so careful about physical affection in fear of hurting her, and I really hoped Alice wasn't going to be the same, because I was ready to make love to my vampire.

"Hello Alice." I greeted her, opening the door. She looked as ravishing as always, and she gave me a sweet smile.

"Hi. I brought movies!" she beamed, holding up a huge stack of movies. I rolled my eyes, stepping aside so she could walk in.

"Did you rob the DVD store?" I ask, amused. She looks slightly sheepish.

"I'm not used to not knowing what someone's going to want to watch." She explains, tapping her head. "Usually I can just See, so I know what to bring."