Chapter Nine: Bella's POV

CHAPTER NINE:

Bella's POV:

"Nicely done." Edward murmurs, referring to how I left Hermione with Alice. I smile at him.

"Thanks." His icy fingers find the necklace around my neck and he tilts his head, slightly. I'm pretty sure my heart quickens, and my palms begin to sweat. Can he sense something off about it? I wonder, and I begin worrying my bottom lip with my teeth. "What's wrong?" I ask, my voice nervous. "Don't you like it?"

"It looks beautiful," he quickly assures me, sensing what he must perceive as my insecurity, "I've just... I don't see you wearing jewelry much."

"Hermione gave it to me for my birthday a few years ago." I shrug, unable to help my blush as I lie. "I wanted to, I don't know, show her that I appreciate it?" Edward presses his lips against my forehead.

Mistaking my blushing for embarrassment at my 'gesture', Edward smiles the crooked smile I love. "Hermione is lucky to have a sister like you." He says, and my blush deepens.

First class of the day is English, and I pull my battered copy of Wuthering Heights from my bag, placing it down on the desk in front of me. Edward copies my movements, sitting down right next to me. We're the first in the class, but as the minutes speed by, more and more people filter into the classroom, all of them talking about one thing and one thing only- Hermione.

I can only imagine how annoyed and frustrated she is, thinking that she'd escaped the staring, whispering and pointing when she attended an ordinary school, only to find out that she was just as much a hot topic here, as she was at Hogwarts.

Jessica makes a bee-line over to me, followed closely by Eric and Mike, and I hold back my groan of annoyance. Edward reaches across, under the table, to gently squeeze my fingers with his deliciously icy ones, a pillar of support next to me.

"Oh my god, Bella! Why didn't you tell us you had a twin?" Jessica just about squeals, and I have to physically restrain myself from cringing at the sound.

"It's kind of a sensitive topic." I mumble, my cheeks immediately staining pink. Even with all the practice I've been getting lately, I'm still just as terrible at lying- omitting is so much easier, but I don't have my sister's silver tongue. She used to be as bad as me, but all that time with Harry and Ron rubbed off on her, and now I practically believe her, when she talks about things like the 'Academy', and I'm fully aware of the untruths she's telling.

"Are you two identical?" Mike interrupts, his blue eyes shining at the thought of a single-Swan girl. "'Cause you look kinda different."

"We're dizygotic twins." I tell him. He kind of looks at me, confused, and I sigh. "No, Mike, we're not identical." I manage to refrain from adding obviously to the end of my sentence.

"So what's the story?" Demands Jessica, "'cause I've heard she's, like, British! I mean, how did that happen?"

"She's lived in London for almost eight years." I tell Jessica, somewhat reluctantly, not going into any further details, hoping to subtly convey the message I don't really want to talk about Hermione anymore.

My subtly, unfortunately, is lost, as Mike immediately asks, "so, does she have a boyfriend?" I tense, not sure what to answer. Technically, she's got a soul-mate, but she doesn't realize that yet. Also, she's gay, but I'm not sure if she wants me singing that from the rooftops.

I decide on acting hostile, to try and distract them from the question. "Seriously guys, can you please stop pestering me? Want answers? Go find Hermione!" I snap, and they all kind of gape at the normally mild-mannered me, surprised by my angry outburst. Beside me, I can feel through our connected hands Edward's body shaking in silent laughter.