Chapter Thirty-Seven: Bella's POV

CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN:

Bella's POV:

"Is she going to make it?" I asked Harry, quietly. Leah's curled up in a pool of her own blood, barely conscious, her eyes glassy. Small, shallow pants tear through her lips, and I can't even look at her abdomen without feeling like throwing up.

"The only thing keeping her alive right now is magic." Harry said, quietly. I chewed on my lip, hands twisting in my lap as I watched. It's been almost ten minutes since the others disappeared.

"She can't die." I whispered, reaching out and gently touching Leah's hair. My fingers come away wet and bloody.

"I won't let her die." Harry assured me. Leah shifts again, a whimper escaping her. She blinks and her eyes clear slightly then focus on me.

"J-J-J-" she breathes out. Blood dribbles from her mouth, and my stomach threatens to hurl again, but I force myself to lean closer, to hear what she's trying to say.

"You don't have to talk, Leah," Harry tells her, soothingly, but Leah lets out a whining-like noise.

"J-Ja-" she tries again, her face twisting in pain, "Ja-Jacob."

My body freezes in horror. "Did... did she just say Jacob?" I whispered, and Harry hesitates, then nods.

"Yeah. I think so." He said, quietly.

"No- no, no, no, no, no!" I shake my head from side to side, wildly, "Leah, what happened? What happened to him?" I demanded, my voice rising hysterically. "Is he alright? Leah, please!" I begged.

But Leah doesn't answer, looks like she can't. Her eyes are shut, and she's barely breathing. "Damn it, damn it, damn it!" Harry muttered, somewhat frantically. "Shit!"

"What is it?" I begged.

"I'm losing her," he muttered, "Bella use your portkey and go straight to La Push. I need to take her to a Healer."

"I thought you were a Healer!"

"I'm a trainee," Harry explains, hurriedly, as he casts some kind of charm on Leah, one I recognize but can't place, then lifts her up into his arms, like she doesn't weigh a thing. "La Push Bella- now!" he orders me, and then he disappears.

I'm standing alone, now, here in the clearing. Panicked breaths are dragging from my lungs, and my body feels too stiff to move, to obey me. Leah's dying. The Cullens and Hermione are with the Volturi. And something's happened to Jacob.

"Please be alive." I whispered, my fingers finding the Portkey. "Portus." I breathe, picturing Sam and Emily's house- Charlie might be at Billy's- and then the world is spinning around me, sickeningly. When the world stills, I fall flat on my face, on a wooden floor. Looks like I made it.

I hear noises, voices, then soft hands are touching me. "Bella?" someone's saying, over and over, "Bella can you hear me?" I manage to look up, and Emily's beautiful, marred face is looking down at me. Then I look past her, and I see him. My Jacob.

He looks so strangely fragile. So completely and utterly breakable. Spread out across the couch... there was bruising, bruising like I'd never seen before. There was blood, there was bone, bone I could see. But he was breathing. His chest was rising and falling.

Relief, horror, misery... my head was a war of emotions so intense, that I felt myself slip of the edge I was clinging to inside my head.

And everything went black.