Chapter Thirty-Five: Bella's POV

CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE:

Bella's POV:

I looked at Fleur awkwardly, not sure what to say. Harry had left about a minute ago, right after Hermione.

Stress, anxiety, fear... they were all I could feel, all I could really process. I was about to break down, and I didn't want to be in front of one of Hermione's best friends when I did. Didn't want to be in front of anyone, really.

"Can... can I go someplace private, please?" I asked, in a hoarse voice, "I... I need to be alone."

"Of course, mon cher," Fleur said, her face soft. I followed after her as she led the way through her small, yet comfortable home. Shell Cottage. It was a lonely but beautiful place, and wherever I stood, I could hear the constant ebb and flow of the sea.

"Will zis do?" Fleur asked, opening a door to what looks like a spare room. It's pretty barren, the only furniture a wide wooden table and an old couch. "Eet used to be a war room," Fleur said, answering my unspoken question. Her voice was soft, sad. "Nobody wants to go in zere anymore. Too many memoriez. Even Bill and I rarely step foot inside zere." She sighed, turning away to face me. "Eet eez soundproof, mon cher, so zere eez no need to worry about me overhearing anysing... private."

She's telling me I can cry or kick, scream or shout, and she won't hear, I realize. She's giving me privacy to give my emotions an outlet.

I can see why Hermione likes her so much.

"Thanks Fleur." I said, stepping into the room. She smiled, faintly, and stepped back, closing the door gently behind me.

No longer worried about her seeing me, I started pacing around. My fingers twitched, searching for something to fiddle with, moving from the buttons of my jacket, to the collar, the strands of my hair, my necklace.

I twisted it around my finger, chewing on my lip so hard it began bleeding, as I worry, and fret and try not to think about what might be happening right now.

My entire life is wrapped around being Edward's soul mate. It's embedded in everything I am, and everything that happens to me.

If his life is in danger, I have to suffer through it without getting to fight. When he's attacked, the Cullen's are attacked or Hermione is attacked, I suffer through that too, helpless as a lamb.

They all try to understand, to empathize, but they just can't imagine how hard it is. Wanting to help, wanting to be there, but knowing I'm nothing but a hindrance; that there's nothing I can do but hide away and wait.

Wait and fiddle my hands. Suppressing a groan, my hand moves faster, spinning the necklace, and suddenly freezing as my fingers touch the delicate charm hanging on the end of the silver, interlocking chain.

An idea had struck me, a wicked, wicked idea, a selfish, selfish idea, one that I knew was stupid, stupid, stupid and wrong, wrong, wrong.

But it refused to let go of me.

My necklace... it was a portkey. Hermione gave it to me weeks and weeks ago, when I told her Victoria was back, that she was after me.

Hermione had clearly stated that it would take me wherever I wanted to go. True, she'd made it so I could get away from Victoria, not go straight to her, but... semantics.

I needed to be there. I couldn't not be there. Not while the man I loved, the family I loved, the sister I loved, was in danger.

I made up my mind, pictured the clump of trees, just a little way from the clearing, and whispered the activation word, "Portus!"