Chapter Twenty-One: Hermione's POV

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE:

Hermione's POV:

I arrived home from my date with Alice at nearly midnight. It felt exhilarating and scary, being in a relationship again, and this one had such significant promise of being long term.

After Alice agreed to be my... partner, I suppose, we snogged for nearly twenty minutes straight and then ended up walking and talking for over an hour, with the occasional bouts snogging (okay, it was more then occasional).

After kissing Alice goodbye in her Porsche, I crept into the house. Charlie was watching a game on television on low volume. Saturday was his day off, so he tended to stay up late, but I don't say anything, instead I quietly make my way up to my bedroom, only to get the fright of my life as a scowling Bella almost walked straight into me, on her way to the bathroom. "Bells?" I asked, puzzled, and then my eyes widened in alarm as I caught sight of her hand in a brace. "Oh my god! What happened?" I gasped.

Bella, seeing me, gave a soft squeal, her expression melting from annoyed to excited. She threw her arms around me in an enthusiastic hug, a bright grin on her face. "Oh my god! How was your date?" She gushed, softly enough to not disrupt Charlie. I smile as my cheeks go pink.

"Well, Alice revealed that she mated on me and now we're in some sort of monogamous relationship." I tell her, and she lets out a much louder sound of excitement.

"That's so cool!" she beamed, her eyes shining, and I narrow my eyes at her, a thought striking me.

"You already knew she mated on me, didn't you?" I asked, shrewdly, and she looked sheepish.

"Maybe." She offered guiltily, and I scowl darkly at her.

"Some twin you are." I grumble, before pointing to her hand. "You never answered my question, by the way- what on earth happened?" Bella's excitement practically visibly leaves her, her shoulders falling in a slump and her expression turning glum as she looks down at her hand.

"I broke my hand punching Jacob." She says, and even through her upset, I can see the flash of anger in her eyes.

"What did he do?" I winced, gently grabbing her by the elbow and steering her back into the bathroom. She followed; not remarking as I turned on the light then shut and locked the door behind us.

"Edward in your room?" I ask, under my breath. She shakes her head.

"He's not going to be back for half an hour- I'm pretty sure Carlisle and Esme are talking him out of breaking the treaty by going and punching Jacob for me." Her face looks guilty. I wince.

"Good lord, what did that idiot boy do to piss you both off that badly?" I ask.

"Jacob told me he loved me, that he wanted me to pick him, not Edward, and then he kissed me." Bella explains, biting her lip and looking at the ground. I raised an eyebrow.

"And which part of that was supposed to surprise me?" I asked, dryly, pulling out my wand and placing it beside the sink, before carefully undoing the brace and sliding it off Bella's swollen hand. She bites back a hiss of pain, and glares at me.

"I didn't realize he was in love me." She exclaimed, and I'm horrified as tears suddenly spring into her eyes. "Oh god, Hermione, I feel awful!" She started literally sobbing and, alarmed, I gently hug her, being careful not to knock her now exposed broken hand.

"Shh, it's alright. We'll fix this." I promise her, "It's not your fault, Bells. Just tell me what happened, all of it, from the start."

After spilling the whole sorry tale to me, Bella cries a bit more into my shirt while I rub her back. Eventually her tears slow and she pulls back, sniffing and wiping her eyes with her sleeve. I pick up my wand and giver her a soft look. "Let's fix your hand," I say, gently, "put your hand up on the sink ledge for me." She gives me a cautious look.