Chapter Twenty: Bella's POV

CHAPTER TWENTY:

Bella's POV:

On Friday afternoon, after I helped Hermione dress up for her date with Alice, I sat down in front of the TV with Charlie, reading Pride and Prejudice as he watched a base ball game.

About fifteen minutes into our quiet afternoon together, the phone started ringing and Charlie got up to answer it. "Hey Jake," I heard him say, and my entire body stiffened. You'd be better off dead! I'd rather you were! I stiffened my jaw and scowled at the writing in front of me.

"Sure, I'll pass it on." Charlie said, and I ground my teeth together. I wasn't at all surprised when Charlie walked back over and pressed pause on the TV. "So, that was Jacob," he began and I nodded stiffly.

"I know." Charlie sighed, seeing the stubborn look on my face.

"Bells, he said he's sorry and he didn't mean it. He'd like you to call him. Give him a break, he sounded really torn up." My dad lectured me. I scowled.

"No." I snapped, before turning back to my book.

"Bella..." Charlie sighed, "That's not very attractive behavior. Forgiveness is divine."

"Mind your own business." I muttered under my breath, pointedly ignoring him, and Charlie pulled my book out of my hands. "Hey!" I complained, and he gave me a wry grin.

"How about this, then- you go visit Jake and I'll unground you." I perked up, despite myself, intrigued by this. I'd been grounded for almost two months now, after skipping town for three days, only leaving Charlie a note. Plus, there was the whole motorbike thing.

In my head I weighed the Pros and Cons. Pros? Edward could start coming over straight after school and I could go to his house without lying to my dad. Cons? I was still majorly pissed off at Jacob.

But... but Charlie said he sounded upset. Maybe he really was sorry. Maybe he didn't mean it. I have to say, it would make me feel a whole heap better if I heard that from his mouth. "Fine." I decide, standing up and walking over to the bench to grab my car keys. "I'm not sure what time I'll be back." I walked out the front and hopped into my truck, pausing only to text Edward that I was going to La Push to visit Jake.

Predictably, his reply was if I was sure about this.

Texting back the explanation that I'd be ungrounded if I did, I pocketed my phone and climbed into my Chevy.

The drive to La Push felt longer then normal, and my stomach was twisting in uncomfortable circles. I loved Jacob- he was like my brother. I couldn't bare the idea of losing him, and I prayed that we could work this out.

I pulled up outside the Black residence, sat in my truck for a few minutes, nervous and hesitant, before taking a few deep breaths and stepping out. I walked up to the front door and rapped on it loudly a few times.

The door practically flew open and Jacob scooped me up into his arms. I instantly hugged him back, tears of relief threatening to spill down my cheeks. After almost a minute he put me down, and I got my first good look at him.

He looked different, maybe even sick. His eyelids drooped and his face was drawn. His shaggy hair stuck out in random directions, and it was almost down to his chin in places. "I am so, so sorry Bella." He told me, his voice basically trembling with emotion. "I didn't mean it, I swear to God!"

I couldn't help but forgive him, he looked so dejected and earnest. "I forgive you Jake." I tell him, and he lets out a sigh of relief, which somehow turns into a massive yawn. I frown. "Are you okay?"