Chapter Thirty-Nine: Bella's POV

CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE:

Bella's POV:

The drive to La Push after dinner is silent, the only noise that of the growling engine of my truck. I'm slightly miffed Hermione demanded to accompany me, but I didn't put up a fuss because I knew it would make Edward happier, and scare Jacob into not talking about things I'd rather not talk about, which selfish as it is, is about all I can cope with right now.

At Hermione's request, Fleur has signed up to check up on Jacob a few times a day, making sure he's healing properly- Harry is still with Leah, wherever they are, and Hermione refuses to. She holds a grudge.

"Do you remember the plan?" Hermione speaks up.

"The plan is for me to visit Jacob." I tell her.

"The plan is to slap that arse hard if he even tries to kiss you," Hermione corrects me, "and the plan is also to be quick. I only agreed to take you to see the pillock because I need to pick up some clothes for Leah. The gowns in the Hospital Wing are awful."

"And because you couldn't tell me I wasn't allowed to in front of Charlie."

"I can still put you in a full-body-bind and leave you in the car." She threatened.

"I'm going to see him, Hermione, whether you want me to or not. Neither you, or Edward, or anyone else is allowed to dictate my actions." I tell her calmly. She groaned.

"The only reason we have to try is because you're such an utter dunce!" I poked my tongue out at her, choosing not to take offense.

"The stop is right up here, Hermione."

She glared at me, but does pull up outside the Black's. Before she can change her mind, I slide out of her car, and hurry towards the door.

Billy answers when I knock on the door, and smiles hesitantly at Hermione who's standing a few feet behind me. "Thank you for asking your friend to help Jake out." He says. Hermione doesn't smile back.

"I did it for Bella." The coldness in her tone has me sighing.

"Sorry Billy, Hermione and Jake are having a difference of opinion." I tell him. He looks at me, wryly.

"That have anythin' to do with your last conversation?" My cheeks go red. Billy was in the house when I kissed Jake? Oh god, I had no idea!

"Please say you didn't hear anything!" I begged, and Billy shook his head.

"His conversation with you? Nah, I was talking about the one he had with your sister." I narrow my eyes, turning to Hermione, trying to figure out what Billy's talking about, but she avoids my glance, looking pointedly at her watch.

"Tick tock, Bella," she reminded me, and I sighed, making my way to Jake's bedroom. I knock twice then open the door. Jacob hasn't changed positions since I saw him last, still stretched out on his bed, covered up in his quilt. The only difference is...

"Oh my god Jacob!" I exclaimed, "What happened to your face?" Jacob looked embarrassed.

"Looks like someone forget to wash his face every night." Hermione commented from behind me, and my previous suspicion brought on from Billy's statement grows.

"Did you do this?" I asked her.

"Of course not! It's probably a side-effect of the potions he's on." She says in an affronted voice.

"Oh." I said, turning back to Jacob. Behind me Hermione groaned.

"Bloody hell Bella! You suck at realizing when you're being lied to." she grumbled, "and with this mutt panting around, I'm going to have to teach you." She added, glaring at Jacob. He has the good sense to look apologetic, even as I sighed and gave Hermione a half-hearted glare, internally cursing myself for being gullible.